PDA

View Full Version : Fist time posting, have a plan. Tell me if I`m missing anything

IdealApotheosis
04-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Recently a friend of mine has introduced me to this forum and I have been lurking for about a month or so. I have read most of the auricles on learning and am intrigued. So this weekend I`m going to put an order in and get some stuff to start taking car of my car. I already have multiple MF towels, waffle weave towels, chenille sponges and such. Just need a little help on what products to use. After reading the "Perfect shine article" and reading this forum for a small time, I have come up with a plan to clean my car. I`m hoping it will take all weekend. :D If I`m missing anything please let me know.

1. Wash my car (93 300ZX TT) with dawn to remove everything.

2. Claybar

3. 1z Paint polish or metal polish (I need help choosing which to use)

4. Klasse AIO

5. Klasse SG

6. S100 Carnauba Wax

Please keep in mind that I`m new to all of this and that any input you may have is welcome.

My car is Graphite metallic grey. It`s also 10 years old and has been clayed once before that I know of (I bought it used about 6 months ago). It has light swirl marks. I tried taking pictures using a Canon S300, but they wouldn`t show up.

On the polish, I need to know which one of the 1z products to use. I want something to remove the previously stated swirls, but don`t want anything too harsh. Also it has to be hand applicable; as I can`t afford a PC and would honestly rather do everything by hand.

Finally, after reading another thread I have been having concerns that the Klasse products might not be able to adhere after using the 1z products. Will I encounter any problems? Also would it be worth it to apply the Klasse products after the 1z polish?

As you can see, I’m a little worried about what is going to work and what isn`t. I just want my baby to look like she did when she was on the dealership lot.

Thanks!

Accumulator
04-11-2004, 11:44 AM
IdealApotheosis- Welcome to Autopia. I`ve never had a problem using the K twins over 1Z, but I haven`t done it that often either. The general concensus is that AIO will clean off the 1Z stuff well enough for decent adhesion.

Or you could use an alcohol spritzer or even another Dawn wash. But I`d just use the AIO over the 1Z and see what happens (check after one panel). I think you`ll be fine.

I`d go with the 1Z Paint Polish. The Metallic is *VERY* mild and probably not aggressive enough for the swirls. The PP is NOT so strong that you need to worry about it. The PP is very user-friendly, I`m confindent you`ll like it.

kustomsol
04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
You might consider a vinegar rinse, particularly if you have water spots. It will also remove deposites and film that the Dawn wash didn`t since it is acidic and the Dawn wash is alkaline. But only vinegar rinse a section at a time and rinse well with water. And be sure and use it on your glass to get any road film off.

Sveta
04-11-2004, 12:25 PM
I`m surprised no one has answered your questions. I don`t use 1Z polishes or AIO/SG so I`m not one to say. But....I was under the impression that AIO will "clean" (not polish) your surface a little and the 1Z products should not make a problem for you. If you saw a post that stated otherwise then I`d say you better read some more posts or wait for AIO person to post in.

EDIT: There ya go. I`m a slow poster.:D

By the way, I believe your surface prep with the 1Z polish(s) will make the biggest difference in how the AIO/SG turns out. That sealant stuff will last awhile and you don`t want to stare at some swirls you could have gotten out with a bit more work, checking, and double checking.:usa

TGates
04-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Looks good to me. I am going to be using the same process on my black G35.

It`s already been clayed.

1ZPP

Klasse AIO and SG

When I get a few layers of SG on, I will switch to Pinnacle Souveran, and use that once every few weeks until swirls become a problem, then start over with 1ZPP.

Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo, and Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD for smudges.

I think since the 1ZPP has no fillers in it, the KAIO will work just fine on top, and will prep the surface for the KSG. Good luck, and post pictures!

Just remember, get as much KSG on there as you want initially, because once you want to switch to the carnauba wax, bonding might become an issue with the KSG on top of the carnauba.

Accumulator
04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BlackSunshine

..I think since the 1ZPP has no fillers in it, the KAIO will work just fine on top, and will prep the surface for the KSG...

The whole "what does 1z polish leave behind?" is gonna be a :confused: topic. Are "waxes" = "fillers"?

I just hope that if anyone DOES have a problem, they post it so we know about it.

TGates
04-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

The whole "what does 1z polish leave behind?" is gonna be a :confused: topic. Are "waxes" = "fillers"?

I just hope that if anyone DOES have a problem, they post it so we know about it.

I guess the real question is how well does 1ZPP REMOVE swirls. Is it abrasive enough to get through minor surface swirls? If it simply rounds off the edges of the swirls (i.e. Z5, etc.) then applying KAIO atop probably won`t do much good. However, from the limited knowledge I have on the subject, the 1ZPP is much better to use before Klasse, etc, than a 3M-type product.

:nixweiss Trial and error I guess.

imported_Greg
04-11-2004, 03:02 PM

I guess the real question is how well does 1ZPP REMOVE swirls. Is it abrasive enough to get through minor surface swirls? If it simply rounds off the edges of the swirls (i.e. Z5, etc.) then applying KAIO atop probably won`t do much good. However, from the limited knowledge I have on the subject, the 1ZPP is much better to use before Klasse, etc, than a 3M-type product.

While I haven`t used 1Z PP, it`ll be here on Monday, my understanding is that it will remove light swirls. Rounding off the edges of swirls is fundamentally what a polish does esepcially through the means of a PC. Z5 to my understaning has something that actually fills in the swirls to some extent. However, what does it matter what brand of polish one uses? 1Z, Meguiars, 3M- they all have products that can remove these paint defects, so I don`t think you can really say that a 3M product won`t do a good job with Klasse.

Accumulator
04-11-2004, 03:06 PM

I`ve found that the 1Z polishes absolutely DO remove marring through mechanical abrasion. I often use a combination of 1Z (UP, PP, MP) and 3M (05933, 05937) abrasives.

In fact, the abrasive qualities of UP are sorta pronounced- it leaves marring of its own which will have to be removed with a milder product.

Just HOW effective these products are depends on how you use them; they remove marring better by rotary than they do by PC or by hand. But they do *remove* it.

TGates
04-11-2004, 03:09 PM
All I`m saying is that it is my understanding that the Klasse AIO polish`s chemical properties will in effect "clean off" any fillers the 3M, or any other product that doesn`t use abrasives to physically remove the swirls, leaves behind, thus negating any steps taken to hide the swirls.

This is just one person`s opinion/thinking. I never claimed to know it all :doh It just seems that the general consensus is the 1ZPP is the "best" to use before Klasse.

Accumulator
04-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Balcksunshine- OK, I see, yeah, you`re right about the AIO`s cleaning ability and how it can uncover hidden swirls.

I guess the "1Z is best" thing is just some of us preferring it over other abrasives because it`s so easy to use. Actually, *I* think that the *BEST* approach, pre-AIO, is probably Gonzo`s: use 1Z PP, then MP, *then Menzerna FP* (no fillers/residue at all, leaves things squeaky clean and burnished), and THEN the AIO.

TGates
04-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I guess the "1Z is best" thing is just some of us preferring it over other abrasives because it`s so easy to use. Actually, *I* think that the *BEST* approach, pre-AIO, is probably Gonzo`s: use 1Z PP, then MP, *then Menzerna FP* (no fillers/residue at all, leaves things squeaky clean and burnished), and THEN the AIO.

Now that sounds right up my alley...I might just have to try that!

IdealApotheosis
04-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Alright guys, you have been VERY helpul. In fact this may be the start of a great forum addiction.... And I only have one other forum that I`m addicted to! Hahahahaha....

imported_Greg
04-11-2004, 09:14 PM

All I`m saying is that it is my understanding that the Klasse AIO polish`s chemical properties will in effect "clean off" any fillers the 3M, or any other product that doesn`t use abrasives to physically remove the swirls, leaves behind, thus negating any steps taken to hide the swirls.

This is just one person`s opinion/thinking. I never claimed to know it all :doh It just seems that the general consensus is the 1ZPP is the "best" to use before Klasse.

Not all 3M products have fillers. I think you are reading a lot about the 1Z polishes is because their ease of use, not because they work well with Klasse. Any polish combo will work well with finished off with AIO and SG.

TGates
04-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Greg

Not all 3M products have fillers. I think you are reading a lot about the 1Z polishes is because their ease of use, not because they work well with Klasse. Any polish combo will work well with finished off with AIO and SG.

This could be, because I have always asked what would be best to use by hand. I forgot about that. I`m sure 3M products are first rate.