PDA

View Full Version : zaino on car, want to use 3m smr

seedee
04-10-2004, 09:55 PM
I have 2 coats of z5 and 2 of z2, I can still see some swirl marks and some scratches. I purchased 3m swirl mark remover for dark cars. After reading around i have heard the 3m is much better than the z5. My question is, can I apply the 3m AFTER the zaino, or do I really need start all over.

imported_BretFraz
04-10-2004, 10:12 PM
The SMR will remove the Zaino coats. Z5 is not an abrasive polish like SMR is. It fills in very light swirls, it doesn`t remove them.

After you SMR you should either wash your car or wipe it down with a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils and fillers left behind which can interfere with the bonding of Zaino.

seedee
04-10-2004, 10:19 PM
hmmm.... so u think if I do the 3m and then just do a couple coats of z2 it will look better? I just looking to do top of car (it`s a convert) so basically just hood, top of fenders, rear deck and bumpers

imported_BretFraz
04-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Well, I can`t say how much better it will look but its worth a try to see for yourself what improvements, if any, are possible. 3M SMR is mild stuff so it certainly won`t hurt anything. Try it on a small area to see if it will do what you want it to.

kempie
04-11-2004, 09:42 AM
IMO the 3M SMR does more filling than removing of the swirls. A dawn wash to remove oils ect. prior to Zaino removes the fillers and your back to where you started.

Menzerna removes the swirls. The, now swirl free, finish isnt effected by the Zaino prep. wash.

Menzerna & Zaino.

SMR & wax.

Any additions, corrections, opinions ect. appreciated.