PDA

View Full Version : Mother`s Cal Gold Pure Carnauba Paste; underappreciated thoroughbred?

Pages : [1] 2

JustinR32
04-10-2004, 08:52 PM
I`ve had a can of this in my garage for about a year now. At the time it was $11.99 for a 12 oz can, and it is available in WalMart, KMart, Pep`s, etc. I used it last spring, when I did a detail day for my car club. I remembered it as a very handsome product, with excellent slickness and beading, easy to apply and remove.

Tonight, prompted by a question on another forum, I decided to try it again. Man, if ever there was a product that reminds me of #16, this is it. (Other than the smell, bubble gum or crayons.)

It goes on the same way, like a liquid/paste. It has that "heaviness" to it that #16 does. It comes off a little bit easier and is more forgiving of being left on too long. It does get a damp dustiness toward the end, something solved by switching removal cloths (the mf I was using built up a lot of wax in it). And it has that same #16 look, one that I`ll call "simple carnauba", or "old style carnauba". It`s wet, with lots of gloss and reflection, and decent depth, but not a lot of darkening (like #26 or Souveran paste would have). The surface is left very smooth and silky feeling.

Hey, if you have been meaning to try #16, but are waiting to see it on a shelf or don`t feel like ordering it, this is as close as you`ll find.

bigpoppa
04-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Always been my favorite off the shelf wax.

Jesstzn
04-10-2004, 09:06 PM
I have had it on my shelf for years but like #26 I stopped using it on my black cars .. When the heat gets to it on black it streaks and smears very easy ( melt breakdown ) .. On lighter colors it is hard to beat. I have been going to pick up som #16 when I see it .. if its this look then I might .. hoping it holds up better as a topper in the heat .. we get high 90s and 100+ up here.

bimmerzhp
04-10-2004, 09:13 PM
I agree. I have had excellent results with the whole line of Mothers products. I was in R&S Strauss tonight and they now carry this product. I use to specially order this wax from a local store for $15. It is now carried by R&S for $9.99. I will go back on Monday and buy a new can along with phase one and phase two.

JustinR32
04-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Jesstzn,

I`ve seen that with #26, on a black car in 90*+. I sprayed it with qd and it went away, never to return. I`ve seen it with Souveran paste, too; same thing. It is definitely ugly, though, and sometimes it`s better to not have to deal with it at all.

Tom

kbshadow
04-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Car looks great.

No matter what else I use I use that to top it, can`t find anything better.

Bob

Stockton Ca

Jesstzn
04-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeep .. I really liked it otherwise ..

Scottwax
04-10-2004, 11:28 PM
I used it early on when I was first starting out. I always got good results, but I could buy #26 by the gallon so I started using that exclusively.

2wheelsx2
04-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Good wax. I still have some paste and a nearly full bottle of liquid. Problem is longevity. At most 4 weeks, and that`s for a car that is garaged at night. But it is very easy to use, and smells great! :xyxthumbs

Jesstzn
04-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Good wax. I still have some paste and a nearly full bottle of liquid. Problem is longevity. At most 4 weeks, and that`s for a car that is garaged at night. But it is very easy to use, and smells great! :xyxthumbs

Thats the other issue I had with it .. *less* than 4 weels on a black car in the heat with 3 x week washes.

imported_Larry A
04-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Mothers has their own web site like Meguiars on line called Mothers Wax Forums.

imported_Terry
04-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by lawrencea

Mothers has their own web site like Meguiars on line called Mothers Wax Forums. I`m a fan of Mothers` products too. But some constuctive criticism.......I think some upgrades are needed for thier website.

JustinR32
04-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Yup. I remember hearing or reading that they have a "pro" line, but I`ve never actually seen it. My memory could be flawed, though. I do think that Mom`s could sell a bottle or two of professional product, if more people were aware of it (and if they have it). They, too, have an enthusiast`s reputation.

Tom

forrest@mothers
04-11-2004, 08:15 PM
You might want to check back on the paste wax - we do offer it with cleaners ($7.99-11.99 most places, it`s our "Original Formula", part # 05500) and without cleaners ($13.99-19.99, "Natural Formula", part # 05550).

The cleaner version needs a coin or screwdriver to pop the lid off, and is pink in color. The natural version lid can be removed by hand and is yellow in color. Strauss gets 9.99 for the cleaner version.

Mosca - check your PM re: the pro stuff.

romar
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bimmer330

I agree. I have had excellent results with the whole line of Mothers products. I was in R&S Strauss tonight and they now carry this product. I use to specially order this wax from a local store for $15. It is now carried by R&S for $9.99. I will go back on Monday and buy a new can along with phase one and phase two.

Strauss has always carried the Mother`s Cleaner/Wax (paste) for as far as I can remember. I`m glad they now have the pure wax, and at that price, it`s unbeatable! :xyxthumbs