PDA

View Full Version : Swirls installed by dealer on Day 1?

drew330
04-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi all, this is my first post, and I have to say that I really love this forum!

I`m going to pick up my new car soon, and from what I read here so dealers did a nasty preparation job for the new cars, and is seriously thinking about not to let the dealer prep my car. However, I not sure whether this situation is being overly exaggerated, as I think there should be some good dealers who knows and really care about auto detailing.

So, I want to hear from everyone`s experience with dealer`s preparation job on a new car, whether it is good or bad, please share!

former86camaro
04-10-2004, 05:26 PM
From what I learned here I rahter prep the car myself. I would get the products I want. I have never bought a new car that was prepped worth a darn. The only thing they do nice is vaccum it out.

The tire stuff always slings all over and they never completly dry it from the wash.

xpditor
04-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Drew,

You need another catagory. I`m in between "Acceptable with a few swirls" and "Swirls all over the place"

ANY swirls are unacceptable to me. If you read the next poll down "Bad Dealer Experiences," you will see what happened with me. I didn`t have swirls but I had fine scratches all over the hood from what appeared to be a wash brush. <shudder!>

The sales person told me they put it through a "brushless" car wash. I looked at it. It is the kind that replaced the brushes with strips of carpet. They were black with dirt and mold.

I refused the car since I had given them instructions, in writing, three times to leave the car alone on the exterior. I will detail it myself at home.

I also wanted to get the Build Sheet from the car. The dealer usually throws it away. It is valuable to have when and if your car becomes a classic.

Now, I`m back to square one and my NEW car is being built tomorrow. We`ll see what happens on this one.

scottabir
04-11-2004, 01:31 PM
well my new 03 (at the time new) Mazda 6 had a nice spot where they "detailed" it for me with a nice heavy glaze so I couldnt see the clear coat burn through mark they left while buffing out the swirl marks.

For me New car= Dealer no-touch, in writing and signed by dealership.

Accumulator
04-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Among all the bad experiences (they even marred the MPV when they just took off the plastic), I still voted "perfect" because Stoddard Imported Cars did *NOT* put one bit of micromarring on the last four vehicles my family bought from them (they know how I would respond if they did ;) ). But they`re the exception...

drew330- Welcome to Autopia. Don`t let the dealer touch it. Do it yourself.

kustomsol
04-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Don`t let them touch it! With what you are paying for a new car, the dealer ought to be willing to have the detailer of your choice do it if you aren`t going to do it yourself. Your new car is probably your second biggest purchase, so treat it right from the beginning; it will save you `regrets`.

2wheelsx2
04-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Like everyone else has said, I took delivery with plastic on the car, paper mats on the floor and tape on the door jambs. :)

Never been more satisfied. Not a mark on it! Took a while to get it the way I wanted it though, since the car is white. Lots of residue from the plastic.

One thing I regretted though. I only did a "quick" claying. I should have spent time to ensure that every little spec was removed, because some of them have since "bloomed". :o

Accumulator
04-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

One thing I regretted though. I only did a "quick" claying. I should have spent time to ensure that every little spec was removed, because some of them have since "bloomed". :o

Guess this is another cue for me to start my broken-record lecture about using ABC *and* clay on new vehicles....

xpditor
04-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Accumulator: Please be more specific or point me to the thread if this has already been discussed. IOW: explain "ABC *and* clay" on my new Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL, please.

I am not new at detailing but I am new to THIS LEVEL of professional detailing. I have always been "anal" about my cars` appearance. I just didn`t know there were more people as whacked about it as I am. LOL

I want to do this car right. It is the most expensive purchase I have ever made INCLUDING my house.

What should I use initially after removing the plastic protective sheets and the foam pieces on the bumpers to get off any sticky residue. Zaino recommends using Dawn for thorough initial cleaning. Do you agree?

I got the whole 9 yards from Zaino including the clay bars. Can you point me to a thread that can give specific step-by-step instructions on the use of the clay bar? I am unsure as to how big a piece, how much pressure, how fast to rub it, how often to change sides, when to discard it, how to tell if it`s working.

Should I "Scotch Guard" the carpets and mats? I have done this in the past and it has saved me from many stains. My interior is a light saddle colored leather/vinyl called "camel" by Acura.

I`m sure most of you guys have learned all this with years of doing it. Thanks for being patient with motivated learner/newbie.

I plan on following the Dawn with the Zaino wash, then clay, then Z2 with ZFX, repeat after a couple hours (I`m in South Florida and we`re already in the upper 80`s day time.)

Is that a good plan? If not, what is?