PDA

View Full Version : All clay bars are the same ?

Webb
04-09-2004, 03:49 PM
I`m trying to figure it out which clay bar to buy,There are about 20 or more brands.

Which one should I avoid.

Bill D
04-09-2004, 04:01 PM
From everything I`ve heard the two major manufacturers of clay are Auto Wax Co ( Clay Magic) and Erazer. I read an old post here somewhere describing one as elastic and the other plastic. In fact, I think Clay Magic was suing Erazer at some point in time claiming it has the sole rights to producing clay or something along those lines.

Many have said these two clays are repackaged under several other brands.

Webb
04-09-2004, 04:09 PM
I was thinking about Mother`s :confused:

THERUSE
04-09-2004, 04:40 PM
i used meguiars, claymagic (blue) and mothers

observations: meguiars smudged a lot when i used it (~3 years ago last time), claymagic didn`t seem to pick up stuff as well as meguiars, and mothers seems to be right in the middle of the two, doesn`t smudge but picks up fairly well not as good as meguiars. i just wish mothers didn`t come w/ the cleaner wax

Webb
04-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Should I just use soapy water or lubricant that comes with it ?

Thanks

imported_WCD
04-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Auto Wax, INC has the rights to the patent by a guy in Japan. MarkV was selling the same patent and got sued big time...bankruptcy. Mark-V is still made under new ownership I heard. I have seen two main size differences..5 oz and 200 grams. A 200 g bar is about twice the size of the 5 oz. Some companies sell a "fine" bar and a "medium" bar depending on your need. When I let me bar heat up a little, it becomes much easier to work with. I can mold it easily into the shape I want. Whatever bar you use, never apply a lot of pressure. Just go slowly back and forth in the direction of the car.

Sometimes clay gets sticky. I usually spray my hand with a shot of qd before starting.

Bars will range from about 14.99-26.95 depending on the size and type. You may go through a few brands before finding the one that works best for you.

R Regan

Bill D
04-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by webb

I was thinking about Mother`s :confused:

I believe that is Erazer repackaged