PDA

View Full Version : Possible to wax too much? Lithium grease?

imported_GAR
04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Two quick questions. I like to wax my car a lot. I use Zymol Carbon for my `95 Miata which is a deep red color (Merlot Mica). I wax the clear coat paint probably every two weeks, and wash it about once a week, using a California Duster about everday in between washings. I wax the hood, trunk and door jambs about once a month.

Is it harmful for the paint to be waxed too often?

Do California Dusters scratch the paint? I haven`t experienced scatches resulting from the use of one yet, and have been using one for almost a year.

Today, I was lubing the door and hood hinges being careful not to get any spray White Lithium grease on the paint. However, I did get some on the paint which I wiped off quickly.

Will White Lithium grease disolve the paint and help accelerate corrosion? Thanks for your time!

-Garrett

Eclipse550HP
04-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Once a mounth.. your wax is mostly gone anyway. As for the grease..QD it and put a light coat of wax on it so you feelbetter..Kinda like kissing a booboo;)

imported_GAR
04-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Eclipse550HP

Once a mounth.. your wax is mostly gone anyway. As for the grease..QD it and put a light coat of wax on it so you feelbetter..Kinda like kissing a booboo;)

Actually, I went ahead and washed and waxed the whole car again to be safe after QD it. However, since it was spray White Lithium grease some overspray still got into the fenders while doing the door hinges, which is what I`m worried about. I`m worried the spray white lithium grease overspray inside the fenders will eat away at the paint and expose the metal to corrosion.

jchetty
04-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Eclipse550HP

:eek: really, wax is gone after a month:confused: i hope not, i clay and wax once a month with s100. i also wash once weekly. my paint beads after the month, i do garage nightly, but i would like to believe wax lasts at least 2months....am i wrong:nixweiss

imported_GAR
04-08-2004, 08:00 PM
All depends on your wax. If you`re using a natural carnuba wax it isn`t going to last long at all. Other factors include how often you wash and if it sits outside in the beating sun.

Synthetic waxes should last much longer, easily 90+ days in normal conditions.

jchetty
04-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by GAR

All depends on your wax. If you`re using a natural carnuba wax it isn`t going to last long at all. Other factors include how often you wash and if it sits outside in the beating sun.

Synthetic waxes should last much longer, easily 90+ days in normal conditions.

i hope im an exception. i garage nightly:D but nj fallout is baaaad:( usually two days after i wash, i have fallout on my paint and have to reach for pb`s spray & wipe:bounce

Jesstzn
04-08-2004, 08:17 PM
The grease will cause no harm at all. Wipe it off with a soft cloth .. wash the car and rewax the area. Its only the carrier in the spray that might do anything and at most it might lift the wax.

LouisanaJeeper
04-08-2004, 08:22 PM
>Is it harmful for the paint to be waxed too often?

Ans: No, but from time to time (mabey once a year) you want to strip off all the bulit up wax and start over, not because it is damaging, but to make the paint appear more optically perfect (shinier,clearer))

>Do California Dusters scratch the paint?

Ans: No the duster itself does not cause scratches, however dirt/dust particles that get picked up with the duster will scratch your car

>Will White Lithium grease disolve the paint and help accelerate corrosion? Thanks for your time!

Ans: No, grease is actually a rust inhibitor. No, it will not dissolve paint. The worst it will do is possibly compromise your top layer of wax.

If you are really concered about it, wipe off the area with Alcohol, then rewax.

imported_GAR
04-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Thank you all for your helpful answers and suggestions. I guess I will not worry about the lithium grease afterall, now I can sleep. Thanks!