PDA

View Full Version : first steps completed with twins

imported_mystic04
04-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi guy`s well i completed the first 2 step with the K- twins last night . Seemed to go pretty well have a few question on what to use to apply the AIO and the SG with . First wiht the AIO i used a terry pad, that seemed to work pretty well went on and off pretty easy. Next with the SG i used a MF towel, that didn`t go as well but still turned out good . Had a little streaking Here and their not a lot used some QD to remove the streaks. Question is would it be better to use a foam pad for SG or a terry pad ,being the Mf towel i think was a little to large, was kinda hard to just put a thin film on of the SG. guess i need to use more to get used to how to handle the SG . Can i use a PC to put the AIO and SG on or by hand still the better way. Thanks for all your answer in advance what i have learned here by reading and the few post i have made . Has made my first time using the K twins somewhat easy and car does look really nice. Next for my topper of Mothers pure Gold or #26 may have some #16 around also what do you think will be best to use.

Accumulator
04-08-2004, 10:01 AM
I apply AIO by PC/Cyclo almost exclusively. I also do most of my SG applications (and removal) by machine. But plenty of people prefer to do SG by hand and it`s probably easier to apply it thin that way (at least until you`re experienced). So in your case, I`d recommend AIO by PC, SG by hand.

I`d apply the SG with foam instead of MF. Use only enough to allow the foam pad to "glide" across the finish, just enough to "lubricate" the pad a little.

I always push #16, but plenty of people like #26 instead. Sorry, not familiar with the Mother`s. But get at least three layers of SG on there first.

Jesstzn
04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Mystic I just used the exact same combo on mine .. If you do a search here a few days back I posted about some M/F applicators I *made* .. I have been using them and they seem to work great for getting the SG on thin and even. I have put on 3 or 4 SG now and any streaking or hazing I might get I wait till the next day and wash the car and its gone. This way I am not interupting any x-linking going on.

I have also taken a MF and wet it then ring it till no water comes out then fold it in 1/4s and make 1 pass over the panel followed by a dry plush MF and the haze is gone. I don`t think this is best but I did try it.

imported_mystic04
04-08-2004, 10:15 AM
thanks Accuumlator for your input you always seem to be the first person who replys back to me. :))

Accumulator
04-08-2004, 10:32 AM
mystic04- OK, glad to help, but notice that Jesstzn prefers the MF applicators, so this is yet another "personal preference" thing.

When I apply SG by hand, I put SO little on the applicator it`s hard to believe. Just some tiny dots of SG from putting the pad over the top of the container and shaking it, then I massage/knead the pad together to distribute those dots little better. Sometimes it`s not enough, and the pad "drags" on the surface, so I`ll have to add a little more.

Oh, in case you didn`t see it in another post, "fogging" the surface with your breath can help with SG removal. The little bit of moisture makes all the difference.

imported_mystic04
04-08-2004, 10:41 AM
thanks again now one last question i used some qd from meguiars that i had around will i be able to layer another coat of Sg over that being i hear i has some wax in it or just wax for now and get a different bottel of qd for next time the car is new and has been in the garage from day one so from the looks of things right now i may just layer a coat of wax or 2 on and forget about another layer of SG if the QD had wax in it. o would like to do another coat of SG is possible then wax.

Accumulator
04-08-2004, 10:51 AM
mystic04- Depends what the QD was. If it`s #34/Final Inspection, that`s cool, add more SG. If not, then I`d just let it go for now, do a sorta-strong wash next time to remove the QD, and add some more SG then.

I get the feeling you`re sorta eager to top that SG ;) but it`ll look/last/protect a lot better with a few more layers on there.

You`ll be protected for now with one coat of SG, so no problem waiting until the next wash to do anything else. It`s those second and third coats of SG that make all the difference.

imported_mystic04
04-08-2004, 11:40 AM
wasn`t #34 it was the other Qd that maguires makes. yeah am some what eager to put a second coat on maybe can just waite till friday and do a quick wash and then do a few more coast of SG

then top with a wax. i`ll post some pics of the cobra after it`s doen so you can see how it came out, that color changing paint should look great when it`s all finished. New 04 mystichrome cobra.