PDA

View Full Version : Jury is still out on QEW

Pages : [1] 2 3

neoprufrok
04-08-2004, 04:04 AM
I used QEW per instructions (2 bucket method) today for the first time.

The finish is without streaks. However, I do note some swirls in teh direction fo the mitt. This car was just polished last week and so these particular swirls are new. It may not be noticeable on most cars, but under halogen and on black, its present.

I plan to continue using qew to see how it affects the car over time. Its too early to say whether or not the swirling is more than the normal wash method or not. My inclination is to believe that it is more than what is expected.

thinksnow
04-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Did you bear down on the mitt (at all) while washing or did you let the weight of the wet mitt do the work?

togwt
04-08-2004, 08:09 AM
As `thinksnow` suggests, light pressure on a wash tool is very important, even more so with QEW.

Mosca did a thread on an VG application method (I don`t know the link, but if you do a seach it will comw up)

~Hope this helps~

Scottwax
04-08-2004, 09:28 AM
The jury isn`t out for me. :p ;) I`ve been using QEW for around 11 years now with no problems.

Try using a chenille covered foam pad with QEW. I get scratch/swirl free results using them.

neoprufrok
04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
No pressure was used. I use a cotton chenille mitt from CMA.

Its hard to tell at this point. I do really like the stuff and the swirls that seem to have appeared (if at all) are very superficial and will be easy to remove with something like Menzerna IP/FP.

BlueRanger
04-08-2004, 11:45 AM
IM sorry to threadjack, but what would be the best way to use a claybar with QEW?

SK2003TypeS
04-08-2004, 07:35 PM
This was my first winter using QEW. If anything, I figure it`s my technique that gave me a few scratches here and there. Otherwise I don`t see any fault with the product.

70fastback
04-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

The jury isn`t out for me. :p ;) I`ve been using QEW for around 11 years now with no problems.

Try using a chenille covered foam pad with QEW. I get scratch/swirl free results using them.

Scott, where do you buy and what brand chenille foam pad do you use?

General Lee
04-08-2004, 09:39 PM
What does QEW stand for?

disasnguy
04-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Quick and Easy Wash

Scottwax
04-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ghlavaty

Scott, where do you buy and what brand chenille foam pad do you use?

Detailer`s Choice and Viking. Whichever one they currently have at Pep Boys and AutoZone. I go through one about every 5-6 weeks.

Scottwax
04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by BlueRanger

IM sorry to threadjack, but what would be the best way to use a claybar with QEW?

I have a claybar that is mixed 50/50 with Clay Magic Blue and Meguiars BSP clay bar that I use with QEW. I wash the panel down with QEW, dry it, add QEW again and clay. Sometimes I add an ounce of QD to QEW if it is obvious the vehicle hasn`t been waxed in a while.

GoodnClean
04-08-2004, 11:17 PM
I think your QEW problem may be the 2 bucket method.

I`ve found that 2 gallons of QEW solution works much better than having a seperate rinse bucket. QEW seems to polarize dirt and it floats to the bottom of the bucket, allowing the QEW solution to be a much better rinsing agent than water.

Also when using rinse water you`re dilluting the QEW solution every time you rinse.

What did you use to dry the car?

neoprufrok
04-09-2004, 02:40 AM
Well, this sort of speaks to the difficulty of this forum. The majority of QEW posts have mentioned the two bucket method. A few (scottwax and yourself) do it slightly different. Each person claiming the others is more prone to scratching.

I will try the 2 gallons of QEW in the ftuure.

I used microfiber towels from autopia car care.

jbakerjr
04-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Well, this sort of speaks to the difficulty of this forum. The majority of QEW posts have mentioned the two bucket method. A few (scottwax and yourself) do it slightly different. Each person claiming the others is more prone to scratching.

I will try the 2 gallons of QEW in the ftuure.

Actually, it speaks to the greatness of this forum..IMO...we can try each of the methods provided by very experienced and knowlegable people :bow and find what works for us. Or expand on the methods by utilizing the good points of all.

Just a thought.....IMO....

Logically you could get the best of both methods from the above suggestions. Try 2 gallons, 1 each for two buckets. 1 application bucket, 1 rinse bucket. Then, there is no dilution to application bucket, while utilizing dirt polarizing quality of QEW in rinse bucket. Same expense as 2 gallon in 1 bucket. Again, just a thought on my part. :nixweiss

BTW: I have also just started using QEW (two washes in last four days) and I have been following this thread with great interest. Thanks to all who have taken the time to contribute info. You guys are my heroes.:bow