PDA

View Full Version : Applying Multiple Coats of Wax??

mtbiker78
04-07-2004, 01:17 PM
I just started reading the Autopia Guide to Detailing. In the section Waxing and Sealing, it says to let the wax cure 12-48 hours before applying another coat of wax. Is this for all wax applications? I just recently "triple waxed" my car and applied the coats of was consecutively. I let the wax dry (haze) and then buffed it off. Then i applied the second coat, then the 3rd.

Was this method useless? Do i need to wax it again and let the car sit 12-48 hours (after removing the wax) before applying the next coat of wax?

thanks in advance

togwt
04-07-2004, 01:42 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Cross-Linking: the time required between removing residues and when the product forms a molecular bond to the paint film surface, these time requirements vary in accordance with the product formulation. Sufficient time should be allowed between removing residue and applying more layers.

Polymer Acrylic – 24 to 72 hours, Carnauba wax-2 to 12 hours, Synthetic wax 12 to 36 hours, these times are a guide only as they will vary by formula, ambient air temperature and humidity.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

groebuck
04-07-2004, 03:38 PM
To add :) - you don`t mention what wax you used - liquid or paste - cleaner or ?? - A cleaner wax is designed to do just that clean and lay down a shine -so you can`t really layer that.

Accumulator
04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
mtbiker78-Welcome to Autopia. Generally, applying numerous coats of (carnauba) wax back-to-back might make for a temporary improvement in appearance due to more oils being on the surface (and some people will argue that it doesn`t even do that) but will not increase long-term durability. It`s generally not thought to build up in layers, as in your method resulting in three times as much wax on the vehicle.

Waiting a while seems to make a difference, and the longer you wait, the better. I find that (*with certain waxes) if I apply a second coat after about a week, I get MORE than one additional week`s worth of protection. It SEEMS to do more than just replace the wax that "goes away" after a week. I`d at least wait a day or two, and *I* usually just add another coat after the next wash.

But there`s a definite "diminishing returns" effect.

But note all the disclaimers I`m using: "generally", "seems to..", this is all sorta uncertain territory and there are a lot of different opinions. Some people claim that once you wax, it`s waxed and won`t take any more.

Certain synthetics, however, such as Klasse and Zaino, definitely DO layer/build up. They need a curing time as TOGWT explained.

mtbiker78
04-08-2004, 06:43 AM
I am using MeGuiars Gold Class paste wax. I feel like i may have wasted some of my time. Half the car i "triple waxed" over a months period, then i noticed some residue on the hood and roof, so i removed all the wax on the hood and the roof with MeGuiars paint cleaner, and then applied 3 coats of wax consecutively. I guess i`ll just throw another coat on the hood and roof and hope that is sufficient.

I called MeGuiars hotline and asked the guy if he`s ever heard of a "triple wax" and he said "yes, results can be seen from up to 3 coats of wax". Not sure if he said that just so i would use more product but i definitely noticed improvements with each additional coat i applied.

mtbiker78
04-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Should i be using a different wax (other then MeGuiars Gold Class) for my Mystic Cobra. It has stock Chameleon paint.

Would the MeGuiars NXT look nice on my car?

Accumulator
04-08-2004, 09:53 AM
mtbiker78- I always liked Cobras in that color :xyxthumbs

Dunno if you`d like the look of NXT better or not. Some people really do, others don`t :nixweiss

Gotta watch what Meg`s reps tell ya. Unfortunately, they give out a *LOT* of incorrect "advice". Gold Class has cleaners, so each coat will remove (at least most of) the previous one. But since you DID see an improvement with each coat, who`s to say you shouldn`t apply more than one?

If I were you, I`d just try to decide how much I like how the car looks now. If you`re happy with how it looks, cool, stick with what your using/doing. If you want a "different look", try the NXT.

Most people think GC looks good, but doesn`t last long. Plenty of people who use NXT top it with something else (like Meg`s #16), which might be a clue as to NXT`s appearance...

mtbiker78
04-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

mtbiker78- I always liked Cobras in that color :xyxthumbs

Dunno if you`d like the look of NXT better or not. Some people really do, others don`t :nixweiss

Gotta watch what Meg`s reps tell ya. Unfortunately, they give out a *LOT* of incorrect "advice". Gold Class has cleaners, so each coat will remove (at least most of) the previous one. But since you DID see an improvement with each coat, who`s to say you shouldn`t apply more than one?

If I were you, I`d just try to decide how much I like how the car looks now. If you`re happy with how it looks, cool, stick with what your using/doing. If you want a "different look", try the NXT.

Most people think GC looks good, but doesn`t last long. Plenty of people who use NXT top it with something else (like Meg`s #16), which might be a clue as to NXT`s appearance...

You say the Gold Class has cleaners in it? it doesn`t say it is a cleaner wax?? What wax should i use? I want a paste wax that is just wax.

Accumulator
04-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by mtbiker78

You say the Gold Class has cleaners in it? it doesn`t say it is a cleaner wax?? What wax should i use? I want a paste wax that is just wax.

I dunno WHY they don`t say so, it would probably help them sell more of it. Note that the "cleaners" are VERY mild, more something to make it go on/off easier than something to actually prep the finish. Even the NXT has (very) mild cleaners in it for the same reason.

Meg`s straight waxes are #26 and #16. I prefer the latter, but it`s just a personal preference issue. The #26 is "deeper" and the #16 is "more reflective" and lasts longer. I like the way #16 goes on/off and the way it beads (and lasts). Sorta hard to explain, but it`s just something that I enjoy using.

mtbiker78
04-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Excellent! i`m going to go with the MeGuiars #16. Give that a try! Anything special i need to know about it before applying?

Accumulator
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Mystic04- Do a search on the #16, there *are* some tricks to using it. Look in the Meg`s vendor`s forum, Mike Phillips has gone over most of the good techniques.

Short version: put it on thin-one can should (literally) last for years. If doing it by hand, move the applicator FAST when picking up wax from the can, try to "liquefy" it (easier than it sounds). Scrape excess off the pad using the rim of the can. Work it "into" the paint a little more than normal when applying it; spread it out over as large an area as you can. Only do a panel or two (well, or three) before removing. DON`T let it set up too long or it will be hard to remove. If you get it on trim wipe it off sorta quick- it won`t stain it that way and will actually protect it pretty well. Apply a second coat after about a week. Be astounded by the beading ;)

NEZUMI
04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
that raise my concern about my current polishing job,

because of there were not enough time, i used M`s GC bought mouths ago as a protective barrier after i have polished the bare clearcoated paint

can i top #16 or #26 on GC ?

mtbiker78
04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
I was just doing some research online and noticed a lot of people talk about using the #26 yellow wax.

I can`t find what the big differences are between the two. Is it just a matter of preference?

togwt
04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

My take on multiple coats / layering:

By applying more product on top of one that has already cross-linked you can increase it’s density (up to a point). The thin film of product that’s applied isn’t really another layer.

Each subsequent applications adherence process is that the solvents work their way into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the previous ‘layer’ thereby creating an anchor, and by surface tension, when the paint film surface is level then this density can no longer be increased (i.e. there is nothing to anchor to)

A level paint film surface improves the paint film surface’s desired optical properties (i.e. surface reflectance, clarity, gloss, and depth of shine)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*