PDA

View Full Version : stained pads?

kb798
04-07-2004, 03:11 AM
I did a search and wasn`t very succesful finding really helpful posts. Anyway I have this white polishing pad that is stained pretty heavily with Menzerna FP. I used this one pad for most of the car so the FP was kinda caked on there. I let it soak in hot water first for about 20 minutes and did the Dawn wash with a soft bristle tooth brush. I got rid of all the products in the foam, but it`s very obvious that it is stained. Do I have anything to worry about or should I just keep this as a Menzerna FP pad only?

noxen
04-07-2004, 09:24 AM
my pads are also stained black (foam applicator pads) from touching rubber trim

would the murphys mix clean them up?

TortoiseAWD
04-07-2004, 09:29 AM
I`ve found that a few squirts of Simple Green (or equivalent . . . I think I`ve actually been using "Greased Lightning" lateley) does a good job at cleaning pads, especially if there are a few stubborn stains. Rinse the pad to get it wet, spray several times, work it in with fingers, and rinse clean. Rinses much cleaner with much less foam than Dawn, too.

Tort

kb798
04-07-2004, 11:17 AM
I`ve read other posts where people use Simple Green on pads and MF towels, and there are arguments about it. Wouldn`t the harshness of the product damage the pads? Or do you use some sort of diluted solution?

imported_Greg
04-07-2004, 11:29 AM
My pads are stained and IMO, that`s life. It happens. I feel like I get everything out, but some pigment remains, no biggie. I keep using mine and just wash them after every use.

Preachers Sheets
04-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Don`t worry about it too much, the pads are fine as long as you clean them well. I usally keep specific pads for specific products anyhow.

TortoiseAWD
04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by kb798

I`ve read other posts where people use Simple Green on pads and MF towels, and there are arguments about it. Wouldn`t the harshness of the product damage the pads? Or do you use some sort of diluted solution? I spray full strength, but the pads are already loaded with water, which ends up diluting the cleaner. I haven`t noticed any problems using this method (yet, anyway).

Tort

kb798
04-08-2004, 01:34 AM
I was sort of concerned because I would see pictures of other Autopia members and their pads that look virtually new after being washed. Mind you, this is the white polishing pad. Well, since many others reuse stained pads, I guess I could use other products on it as well :)

imported_pugoman
04-08-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by joed1228

I usally keep specific pads for specific products anyhow.

Me too! I have one pad for each product I use. No way of getting cross-contamination that way. Well that`s my theory anyway. The wife just says it`s an excuse to buy more pads! :D Hmmmmm ;)

kb798
04-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Well at nearly $10 a pad, and even more for the contoured edge ones I bet your wife would be indeed mad :D