PDA

View Full Version : Cleanin an oxidized vechicle

Pages : [1] 2

Iceman40
04-06-2004, 09:22 PM
I`m getting ready to do a 95 ford ranger that has never had wax on it, just been washed since new. The paint feels rough, oxidized and scratches through-out. I was wondering what should i use to remove the oxidation? scrathes...etc.... I know this truck will never be a show truck, just trying to clean it up..:nixweiss

Iceman40
04-06-2004, 09:24 PM
I forgot, it`s a red ranger...Original paint from the factory...

imported_BretFraz
04-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Let`s start with what you`ve got on hand. Give us a product list and we can see if you have what you might need.

Just about anything with some bite will make a diff. Are you doing all this by hand or do you have a machine to help?

Iceman40
04-06-2004, 09:33 PM
I have a pc7424, yellow and white pads.. Merz twins and glaze...Z5,Z2,Z6,ZFX...S100... Mothers clay bar...Microfiber towels and applicators..

ZaneO
04-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Check out my Project Silverado post in this section. I used a PC with the Menzerna Twins and it is coming along very nicely. Badly faded red 1986 paint...looks almost new now.

Jngrbrdman
04-06-2004, 10:19 PM
I`m not sure what would work best out of the supplies that you have, but I would seriously suggest getting some Klasse AIO. I love it on oxidation. This is my favorite example of what AIO can do. (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23482) Its well worth it to have a bottle of AIO around.

ZaneO
04-06-2004, 10:27 PM
I really don`t see any need to buy a bottle of AIO when he already has supplies that will take care of the problem. The Menzerna twins are more than capable at handling some oxidation.

Jngrbrdman
04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
I don`t recall saying that his stuff wouldn`t work. I haven`t used Menzerna yet so I really couldn`t say if it would or not. I was just suggesting something that has worked well for me in the past and might be something to consider for the future. If Menzerna will do the same thing then that is great. He is all set.

chris0626
04-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Moving this puppy to Autopia Univ. Hope you guys will continue the discussion there.

ZaneO
04-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I never said that you said that it wouldn`t work lol I was just saying that what he has will do the trick.

Confused, yet??? :D

foxtrapper
04-08-2004, 07:46 AM
I know you say the truck will never look great and that you just want to make it look better. And to that end, the products you have will do a fine job of that.

But... you`re working harder then you have to, and getting worse results then you could if you used better products.

For years I played with things like turtle Wax and such. Polish the faded paint, wax madly, and the vehicle would look ok for a few weeks until the wax wore off. I`d have to make sure I ignored all the polish stains on the plastic, the wax stuck in the trim, and the mediocre polishing of the previously faded paint. I put up with it for years because I really didn`t know any better. After falling for that horrible new Gold Class super wax from Meguires, I`d had it with this sort of stuff. All that sweat and time, only to have the car start chalking its way back to pink in a few weeks.

I finally took the plunge and bought one of those exensive brands. I personally chose Klasse, but others like Zaino are very good as well.

Wow, less effort, better results, longer lasting. No more stains on the plastic. No more chunks of wax and polish in the trim. No more fading in a few weeks.

Life is GOOD with the good stuff! Might I suggest you join in on this band wagon too?

ZaneO
04-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by foxtrapper

I know you say the truck will never look great and that you just want to make it look better. And to that end, the products you have will do a fine job of that.

But... you`re working harder then you have to, and getting worse results then you could if you used better products.

For years I played with things like turtle Wax and such. Polish the faded paint, wax madly, and the vehicle would look ok for a few weeks until the wax wore off. I`d have to make sure I ignored all the polish stains on the plastic, the wax stuck in the trim, and the mediocre polishing of the previously faded paint. I put up with it for years because I really didn`t know any better. After falling for that horrible new Gold Class super wax from Meguires, I`d had it with this sort of stuff. All that sweat and time, only to have the car start chalking its way back to pink in a few weeks.

I finally took the plunge and bought one of those exensive brands. I personally chose Klasse, but others like Zaino are very good as well.

Wow, less effort, better results, longer lasting. No more stains on the plastic. No more chunks of wax and polish in the trim. No more fading in a few weeks.

Life is GOOD with the good stuff! Might I suggest you join in on this band wagon too?

What in the world are you talking about? You sound like an infomercial.

NONE of the products he has are are mediocre brands. He can accomplish some amazing results with what he has. He already has the "good stuff." :rolleyes:

Iceman40
04-08-2004, 10:53 AM
im going to try the stuff i have..............but i think i might need something alittle more abrasive, i ran hand on the paint and its rough...

foxtrapper
04-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

What in the world are you talking about?

If you don`t understand it, don`t worry yourself about it.

Jngrbrdman
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
A lot of paint finishes can start to feel rough when they get in really bad shape. Not a whole lot you can do about some kinds of roughness. If one of the menzerna products will clean off the oxidation then I`d try that first and then clay it. You could clay it before the menzerna, but I figure if you can get as much off with the polish as possible then it could make the claying a little easier.

If you have a PC then I would suggest something like DACP. That is a great polish that should take care of most of the problems that can be handled that way. I doubt that there will be too much that DACP will need to do after you clean the paint and clay it.

I don`t know why ZaneO feels the need to defend you products on this, but if what you have works for you then go for it. There isn`t really a need to get anything else other than maybe a different polish. Like I said before, I really don`t know what Menzerna has in it. If you need something more abrasive then hunt down some DACP. Then you can go the Zaino/S100 route after that. It should look fine.