PDA

View Full Version : Consumer => Professional

Cam
04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I`m in the process of switching from Meguiar`s consumer line-up to the professional stuff. I`ll be hand-applying to a medium-green basecoat/clearcoat (pics below) and I`m looking for a three-step process (cleaner, polish, wax) using the professional products. The paint`s in very good condition with some light swirling being the only problem. I wash weekly with either #00 or Soft Wash Gel.

Since I got the car a few years back, I`ve been using the Deep Crystal steps 1 & 2 then Gold Class wax to finish. The previous owner kept the car clean, but I don`t think it was waxed. The first time through the three-step (with claybar to start) made it look like a different car! I`ve done some research and come this far, but I just need a bit of advice on my final choices:

CLEANER:

#9 or #83 - I`m leaning towards #9 because it`s less abrasive and I`ll be applying by hand. These are both described as `cleaner/polishes` but I`m more interested in their cleaning and anti-swirl properties since I`ll also be using...

POLISH:

#7 or #81 - Probably #81 based on what I`ve read about results vs ease-of-use, but this one`s still up in the air. Followed by...

WAX:

#16 or #26 - I`ve read lots of good things about both of these, but for a darker car like mine I`ve heard that #26 may be the better choice. Athough I like what I hear about the durability of #16.

In summary, I`m looking for the thumbs-up that a #9, #81, #26 combo will do what I`m looking for when applied by hand on this car... anything I`m missing?

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/194000-194999/194060_147_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/194000-194999/194060_145_full.jpg

Big thanks in advance! :D

Accumulator
04-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Just my $0.02-

Step 1- I`d use either #82 SFP or #80 for the swirl removal. Probably the #80. Milder than #83, slightly stronger than #82, and easy to use by hand. BTW, you could consider #82 the "clearcoat friendlier" version of #9. The #80 is also designed for clearcoats and really impressed me (I`m usually not a big Meguiar`s polish fan).

Step 2- #81. I really like #7 for single stage paint, but I`d go with the #81 for basecoat/clear. Again, the "80s" series stuff is more for clear coats.

Step 3- #26 will darken your finish, so if that`s what you`re after, go with that. That`s why it`s the usual recommendation for dark paint. But *I* don`t think of your color as needing darkening. If *I* were doing that color, though, I`d go with #16. I think it would look "brighter" and bring out that color better (besides lasting longer). This one`s gonna be a personal preference issue.

So *I* would go with #80, #81, #16. But hey, that`s just my choice.

Mike_Phillips
04-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Cam,

I just answered this over on Meguiar`s Online,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4721#post4721

Mike

Cam
04-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys, great stuff.

Originally posted by Accumulator

#26 will darken your finish, so if that`s what you`re after, go with that. That`s why it`s the usual recommendation for dark paint. But *I* don`t think of your color as needing darkening. If *I* were doing that color, though, I`d go with #16. I think it would look "brighter" and bring out that color better (besides lasting longer)

After you started me searching, I`m sold on #80 as a first step. It seems to fall right between the #9 and #83 and that`s what I`m looking for. Is there any reason I couldn`t put a layer of #16 on top of the #26? So that would get me #80, #81, #26 then 12 hrs later, #16. If not, I`ll get both waxes and see which I prefer...

Accumulator
04-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Cam

... Is there any reason I couldn`t put a layer of #16 on top of the #26? So that would get me #80, #81, #26 then 12 hrs later, #16. If not, I`ll get both waxes and see which I prefer...

You got me there, I never tried layering the two waxes. It sounds like an interesting plan, though. People have been pleased with combinations of Souveran and P21S, and that`s sorta the same idea.

It`s all gonna be up to you anyhow. Note how Mike Phillips would use #26, even though he used #16 on customers` cars for years. I think you`ll find one to be MUCH more to your liking than the other and wonder why anybody would prefer the other stuff :D