PDA

View Full Version : Last VM question...promise

breakneckvtec
04-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I am gonna apply it by hand. What should I apply with? Mf applicator pad? I was going to work it in until I felt it begin to dry then buff off the excess a panel at a time. Any app tips, please help out. Thanks.

andriver
04-06-2004, 05:33 PM
I use the MF pad. I will usually apply it the entire car and then buff it off. No application tricks needed. This stuff is easy to use and not tempermental.

breakneckvtec
04-06-2004, 05:51 PM
I am curious, not that I doubt this is a great product, or I wouldnt have bought it, but why are the reviews for it in the reviews section here on autopia HORRIBLE? Made me almost call and cancel my order, but here on the boards, its praised heavily.

Scott P
04-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Not everyone takes the time to fill out a review int eh reviews section. I typically go by what the general concensus of the board is when thinking about trying a new product.

Scottwax
04-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

I am curious, not that I doubt this is a great product, or I wouldnt have bought it, but why are the reviews for it in the reviews section here on autopia HORRIBLE? Made me almost call and cancel my order, but here on the boards, its praised heavily.

Extreme bias, and those people know who they are. Personally, based on what I know from some back door channels, some of those reviews should be removed.

It is an excellent final glaze, very easy to use and very versitile. I normally use a foam hand pad, work VM into the paint a panel at a time and remove.

TortoiseAWD
04-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Extreme bias, and those people know who they are. Personally, based on what I know from some back door channels, some of those reviews should be removed. Extreme bias? Your own review ended up with three stars, and of the others listed, I saw a couple of twos, a couple of threes and a three and a half. I don`t know that there`s enough bias there to be "extreme", if it`s present at all. :nixweiss

Tort

imported_Greg
04-07-2004, 10:59 AM
I posted my review before I had tried some of the better products I have. It was nice, but I have since found better alternatives. Its still not a bad product IMO and is very easy to use.

Edited my review in the reviews section.

Scottwax
04-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

Extreme bias? Your own review ended up with three stars, and of the others listed, I saw a couple of twos, a couple of threes and a three and a half. I don`t know that there`s enough bias there to be "extreme", if it`s present at all. :nixweiss

Tort

There was a whole lot of backlash against Clearkote products from a few Autopia members and I know what they were saying behind the scenes. One member commented "Oh, I`m gonna review the Clearkote stuff also. Muhahahahahahahaha!" and another wrote this "Well from everything I hear from the senior members, its not great at all. I`m prepared to get critical."

Seems to me they had their minds made up before they even tried the products. Sorry, but there was very strong bias against Clearkote from some long time moderators here and I think it is very unfair.

TortoiseAWD
04-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Well, I guess this long-time moderator was out of the loop on that one. My larger point was that the reviews section is averaging about a three, the same as you rated it, and with a pretty low deviation in scores. I would have expected some one star ratings and the typical "It sux0rs!" type of response in a biased review.

My own experience with VM has been terrible, which is unfortunate, `cause the general vibe on it is that it`s not a bad glaze and has good blemish hiding properties. However, I`ve had four bottles (two from the "old" batch, and then two from the new descented batch to replace those). I`ve only had "success" using it about 50% of the time. The other 50%? Smear city. I have no idea what causes it, but it seems to vary from car-to-car. On a couple of cars, it wasn`t too bad, but on my Mom`s Buick, I had to use Prep-Solve to remove the VM smearing and try something else.

I quit using VM because smears are my biggest peeve (nothing moves a product to the back of my shelf quicker). My only bias is that it didn`t work for me. YMMV (as of course it has . . . you have very good luck with VM, as do many others). I have no explanation for the inconsistent performance. I`d be thrilled to learn that it was something in my technique, because I`d rather not have those bottles just sitting there if I can figure out how to make them work. I`ve tried applying thick and thin, and I`ve tried wiping it off immediately, and I`ve tried letting it haze. I`ve tried working it with a PC until almost gone, and I`ve tried just applying it as though it were a wax. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn`t.

Tort

Scottwax
04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
:nixweiss I have no idea why you would have smearing problems because I never have. I don`t see anything in your application process that would cause it either.

If you actually read the reviews they come across a lot harsher than the scoring would indicate.

raymond_ho2002
04-07-2004, 06:44 PM
TortoiseAWD,

Do you use a foam pad or a microfiber/terry pad to apply VM? I had horrible hazing when I used mf/terry .. It also hazed when i used a polishing pad with a PC. I was about to throw it away.. until i found that it consistently worked great when i used yellow foam pads by hand and lightened up the pressure.

Sveta
04-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I`ve used MF pad and yellow pad. Never by PC. Have zero problems because everything always goes perfect...I like it`s versatility. Is there any chance temperature and relative humidity may account for different results?

BTW, I no longer "believe" the reviews like I once did. I find them more "suggestions" and "informed biases" and sometimes downright "misleading". I take Scottwax`s reviews and a few others as mostly reliable but even then I think one has to use their own experience to confirm or deny. Isn`t that the best way?

But ...as far as VM goes I don`t think it hides micro-scratches that well. Maybe it isn`t supposed to. I will try and work the VM more on these the next time and see what happens. My experience with a small spot on the hood:

#7 HAD COMPLETELY hid these slight marks in the past (pre-VM) and I thought they had been "polished" away. Nope. VM brightened the paint more but the fine swirls were visible again. #7 also seemed to have a soft rich "oiled" looked to it more than a BRIGHTNESS that VM imparted. Planning on thouroughly investigating this minor detail next full wash /wax routine. VM vs. #7 or HP for "looks". Then VM, FP or #82 or 1ZMetallicPolish, etc. for removal. Can`t get that kind of knowledge from any post I`ve found. Maybe in twenty years I`ll be an expert. :usa

Scottwax
04-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Marty-VM will remove/fill very minor paint imperfections but that is about it. I mostly use it to clean the paint, add more of a reflective look and make the paint super slick so wax just glides on.

BTW, I have used in every conceivable temperatute/humidity condition with no hazing. I haven`t had any problems with Klasse SG haze either. :nixweiss

TortoiseAWD
04-08-2004, 08:18 AM
raymond,

I used a white polishing pad with PC. I`ll try switching to a finishing pad, or try it by hand next time I`m in the mood to experiment with it.

Thanks,

Tort

imported_memnuts
04-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Extreme bias, and those people know who they are. Personally, based on what I know from some back door channels, some of those reviews should be removed.

It is an excellent final glaze, very easy to use and very versitile. I normally use a foam hand pad, work VM into the paint a panel at a time and remove.

I agree on both points.

VM is a wonderful versatile cleansing / polishing product. Excellent results by hand or PC. Can be used on paint, clearcoated chrome and rims, glass and smooth surfaced plastics.

Unfortunately, as Scott mentioned, the review section is sometimes used as a "back-door" gripe forum for issues beyond the reviewed products performance. JMHO :nixweiss