PDA

View Full Version : with pc how close to emblems can you get?

chevysales
04-06-2004, 07:19 AM
if an emblem is taped off well with a couple of layers of tape how close can most of you get to it with a pc (6.5" pads) without damaging it?

or is the damage limited to tearing up the pad?

i ask as i have a very small area next to emblem on nose of car.

i don`t want to damage it as a re-install is likely to cause more problems than its worth.

thanx

andriver
04-06-2004, 07:49 AM
My emblems are fairly flush with the surface. I buff over them with no problem.

chevysales
04-06-2004, 10:26 AM
thanx a lot guys i appreciate it.

the experience here is absolutely great for noobs like myself.

i was told to tape them off good before doing car supposedly when only using abressive polishs but then i need to get within 1/4" and not being familiar with a pc i wondered if that is even possible

Accumulator
04-06-2004, 12:18 PM
What the others have said. Just watch it when going over plated plastic emblems. I`ve worn the plating off the XJS`s emblems by polishing them too often :o (but it took almost twenty years of it).

Originally posted by chevysales

i need to get within 1/4" and not being familiar with a pc i wondered if that is even possible

Yeah, once you get accustomed to the PC you`ll be amazed how close you can come to stuff. But that 1/4" is about as close as is practical. The polish will "migrate" a little from the area really getting "worked", so while it`s back the 1/4" or so from the emblem, it doesn`t get worked the way it does under the pad. Sorry, that`s not worded very well...

chevysales
04-07-2004, 11:01 AM
thanx for the help guys :)