PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to wash mf or cotton towels?

Pages : [1] 2

jax
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
thanks!!:bounce :xyxthumbs :wavey

a.k.a. Patrick
04-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Are you asking if we use mf, or cotton to wash with, or what to wash mf or cotton towels with ?

jax
04-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, what do you use to wash mf towels? :D :shocked

Mmmph
04-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Hre`s the results of a couple of searches on "Washing towel" and "washing towels":

http://www.autopia.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=327748&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.autopia.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=327750&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

...and one thread of note:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34317&highlight=washing+towel

HTH

Mantic6t9
04-05-2004, 09:53 PM
I use liquid Tide and it seems to get the job done. Just remember a little goes a long way.

armoredsaint
04-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Micro Restorer from autofiber.com works great, made especially for MF and etc...

andriver
04-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Tide works well.

kepani
04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
is it imperative to use liquid tide?

i usually use powder tide, but before i throw the towels in, i let the machine fill up with some water to dissolve the grains. then i put the towels in. does anyone still think that this is not good for the mf towels?

kepani-who is addicted to mf towels...so soft! :xyxthumbs

togwt
04-06-2004, 06:21 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Microfiber Towel Care:

If the towel becomes too dirty, it will begin to “streakâ€, it is then time to wash the towel. Pre-soak in a liquid detergent / water and then squeeze out wax/polish with your hands and rinse thoroughly. Hand or machine wash in hot (>150oF) water with liquid detergent (Auto-Fiber’s Micro-Restore) this will remove wax or polish, rinse thoroughly twice, do not use bleach (bleach will shorten the life of your Microfiber cloths.) Do not use fabric softener (most contain silicone that the towel will adsorb and it will weaken the towels static charge thereby reducing their effectiveness) towel will also treat the fabric softener as if it was dirt by trying to store the tiny particles of the softener in the towel fibres. This will clog up the micro fibres and render the towel ineffective. Add a quarter of a cup of distilled white vinegar in place of a softener, the vinegar doesn`t coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue. Be careful when machine washing or drying in mixed loads (Microfiber cloths will pick up lint from other fabrics.) Air dry or you can dry Microfiber cloths in any dryer on low heat, just be sure that the dryer does not dry at temperatures above 235 degrees F as Microfiber will melt if heated too high. Colours may bleed during first washing. Just recently, a cleaning solution was developed specifically for cleaning Microfiber towels, a product called Micro-Restore Detergent that claims to effectively remove dirt without using the bleaches and softeners commonly found in laundry detergents.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

imported_pugoman
04-06-2004, 06:43 AM
A washing machine.

Sorry, couldn`t resist! :D

I use whatever liquid detergent the wife buys, no fabric softner and as I said, I wash them in the washing machine then dry on low heat setting in the tumble dryer.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Im with Pugoman.....I have even heard of using bleach with no ill affects....I may have to try it....

itb76
01-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Im with Pugoman.....I have even heard of using bleach with no ill affects....I may have to try it....

I have used bleach on MF with no ill effects...just not on car wash towels. I refuse to put my MF Quickie floor mop heads in with my MF wash, for obvious reasons, so they go into my white wash, which gets bleach. Darned if I can see any problems, they do a great job on the floors!

Eliot Ness
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow, this is a pretty old thread.... from 2004. The reason they say to not use bleach is because it can degrade or breakdown the microfiber over time. How long it would take I have no idea since I never use bleach, just Micro-Restore (and sometimes a little APC), when I wash my MF`s.

medic159
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
...Air dry or you can dry Microfiber cloths in any dryer on low heat, just be sure that the dryer does not dry at temperatures above 235 degrees F as Microfiber will melt if heated too high....

This is wrong. If the towel is polyester microfiber and nylon the melting point of both fibers is a tad over 500 degrees. The hottest a dryer will get is 135 to 140 degrees. Therefore, no polyester towel will ever melt in a dryer. It`s perfecrtly OK to dry on high heat.

Scottwax
02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I`ve been using the concentrated version of All, and only about half the recommended amount plus a double rinse to reduce the chance of residue remaining in the towels. Every 2nd or 3rd wash, I also pour in some Optimum Degreaser (not sure if it is still being sold) as well.