PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars ColorX

Pages : [1] 2

SR77
04-05-2004, 07:20 PM
1) Does ColorX have any abrasives in it or is it just a chemical cleaner like AIO? If it does, how abrasive are they?

2)Can ColorX be used on newer cars paint or is it geared toward older neglected finishes.

3) Is ColorX/NXT supposed to be Meguiars answer to the popular AIO/SG? Thanks for the help.

Mike_Phillips
04-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SR77

1) Does ColorX have any abrasives in it or is it just a chemical cleaner like AIO? If it does, how abrasive are they?

2)Can ColorX be used on newer cars paint or is it geared toward older neglected finishes.

3) Is ColorX/NXT supposed to be Meguiar’s answer to the popular AIO/SG? Thanks for the help.

ColorX is a non-abrasive cleaner/wax. You cannot scratch paint using this product. It is however a very strong cleaner/wax intended to be used to restore the clarity to clear coats to reveal the true color of the basecoat underneath. It is a real answer to neglected finishes versus the gimmicky products that contain actual color in the wax which artificially colors the paint.

It can be used on newer cars with paint in good to excellent condition, but a better choice would be products like Tech Wax.

The ColorX/NXT Tech Wax isn’t Meguiar’s answer to the popular AIO/SG, it’s just an excellent combination that is available at most auto parts stores. The idea being to use the ColorX as a paint cleaner, and then top it with Tech Wax.

Here’s a link to a before and after I did using only ColorX by hand on a neglected, clear coated blue metallic finish on a 1986 Bronco II

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88)

And here’s the results after using ColorX by hand and then two coats of NXT Tech Wax also by hand on a black, basecoat/clear coat finish on an extremely neglected 1947 Plymouth Coupe.

Both of these products work excellent by hand or with the PC

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2700_1947PlymouthFarShotCropped1.jpg

Mike

Jesstzn
04-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Mike my brother has a single stage 93 Burgundy S10 that oxidises badly and in the past we have Mothers Cleaner Carnuba He is coming over in a couple weeks and it was my intention to use the ColorX with a PC and whichever pad seems best then follow it with NXT.

Is ColorX the right choise here and which pad would be best? I have the W7006 and W8006 pads and also the LC yellow and white pads.

I do have a little bit of DACP but not enough for the truck.

Mike_Phillips
04-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I think the ColorX/NXT would be an excellent combination.

I would probably stick with the W-8006 pads for applying both, my experience with the paint on trucks like this is it`s pretty thin. Using the W-7006 with anybody`s product may be to aggressive for an older single stage finish like this. While the above is a good combination, technically, you get your best results by using dedicated products and dedicated procedures.

In other words,

* Using a dedicated paint cleaner for the cleaning procedure.

* Using a dedicated cleaner/polish or pure polish for the polishing procedure.

* Using a pure wax for the protection procedure.

Or, use a strong cleaner/wax like ColorX and top with Tech Wax. :D

Mike

Inzane
04-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

In other words,

* Using a dedicated paint cleaner for the cleaning procedure.

* Using a dedicated cleaner/polish or pure polish for the polishing procedure.

So does that mean you`d use something like MPPC before #83 in a multi-step job?

SR77
04-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the replys.

In the description on Meguiars site, it says that it is also a Polish and will remove swirl marks. So if it is just a chemical cleaner wax, how does it remove swirls.

Most examples that i have read about have been applied by hand, is this product to strong to use on a newer finish with a PC as a cleaner before a LSP or is it fine to use for this with say a Polishing pad? Thanks again for the help.

Mike_Phillips
04-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

So does that mean you`d use something like MPPC before #83 in a multi-step job?

No, because #83 applied by machine is a very effective paint cleaner. So While it`s not technically a dedicated product for one procedure or another, used as a paint cleaner, it is effective enough to be used as a dedicated product for a dedicated procedure.

If #83 wasn`t effective enough to remove the defects and restore the finish to your expectation, then #84 Compound Power Cleaner would be the next best choice by machine to remove the defects.

Good question though.

Mike

Spilchy
04-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Can ColorX be used on colored metal surfaces?

For example, my neighbor wants me to detail his trailer that he hauls 2 motorcycles in.

The trailer had been sitting for years in direct sunlight. Half of it is oxidized and the other half isn`t.

It was loaded with mold that I killed with bleach and water and then washed with car wash soap.

It`s a typical trailer wsimilar to what landscapers use, etc... I don`t know what it`s made out of except that it`s a thin metal.

I was going to use AIO but would use ColorX if I could because it is cheaper!

Mike_Phillips
04-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Can ColorX be used on colored metal surfaces?

When you say colored metal surfaces, do you mean single stage painted metal surfaces,

(Sorry if this seems real apparent but B.C. taught me that words mean things, so I like to be careful)

I was going to use AIO but would use ColorX if I could because it is cheaper!

I think ColorX retails for under $7.00 a bottle, not bad for a powerful cleaner/wax.

I have tested ColorX`s ability to restore clarity to a clear coat and remove surface defects on the below 1947 Plymouth Coupe with excellent results. I used a piece of terry cloth for a little more extra bite and a lot of elbow grease.

Here`s a Before picture

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/247Plybefore1.jpg

Here`s another,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/247PCBeforeMassiveCobwebs1.jpg

Here`s an after shot,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/247PlymouthAfterColorXS2.jpg

The above was after first claying to remove white overspray, and then one coat of ColorX by hand.

Mike

Mike_Phillips
04-09-2004, 04:18 PM
The next day I hand applied one coat of Tech Wax using a foam applicator, here`s an after shot,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/247PlymouthAfterColorXS5.jpg

And here are the Meguiar`s Twins...

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/247PlymouthColorXNXTBeautyShotC3.jpg

Next month, the owner will bring the car back to see what can be done with a PC and #83 DACP. Then, a month or so later, he`ll bring it back again and we`ll see what can be done with Mr. Rotary Buffer.

Mike

Spilchy
04-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi Mike

Yes, there is no clear on the colored metal. I am almost positive. The trailer has got to be in the neighborhood of 6 to maybe 10 years old. I know it sat at his ex-wife`s house for 5 years.

Mike_Phillips
04-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Then definitely give the ColorX a shot, it works on any type of paint, clear coat or single stage.

In fact, cleaner/waxes are excellent for things like trailers because while you want to improve their looks and preserver their service life, you certainly don`t want to go around the trailer 2-3 times with a multi-step process.

I used to save all my tatty foam buffing pads just for using on things like trailers where I knew the chances were good that I was going to snag something.

Best of luck to you and your trailer project, remember, use a piece of terry cloth for a little extra cleaning power.

Mike

Spilchy
04-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks Mike. Hopefully my trip to Pep Boys to pick up a bottle will be worth it!

Thanks for terry cloth tid bit. I have a bunch of old ones lying around.

Although I`m not a fan of doing this project, I feel I can bang it out in about 4 hours and pocket some extra coin.

I`m more of car guy ;) Now the 78` 450SEL with 20k miles in the garage is what I prefer. I spoke about it before. I get my crack at it in a couple weeks after he fires it up and gets the yearly service. (No ColorX though! #80 polish pad, #7 and #16 is the routine)

SR77
04-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Mike,

In the description on Meguiars site, it says that it is also a Polish and will remove swirl marks. So if it is just a chemical cleaner wax, how does it remove swirls?

Most examples that i have read about have been applied by hand, is this product to strong to use on a newer finish with a PC as a cleaner before a LSP or is it fine to use for this with say a Polishing pad? Thanks again for the help.

eclemens
05-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but just tried colorX myself. My folks have a camper that sat outside all winter (it`s entire life actually) and had black marks all down the sides. They hit it with all of the standard cleaners (even the stronger citrus based household cleaners) to no avail. Greased lightning would take it off, but we all know what it would look like afterward.

I tried some 3m SMR by hand and it came right off and left a pretty good shine. I didn`t want to have to do the entire thing (huge) and then wax it all again, so I thought colorX would be the trick. To my surprise, either by hand with a folded terry or by PC @ 6, it wouldn`t even touch it. The SMR by PC removed it instantly. Now I know it was the abrasiveness of the SMR that provided the cleaning action, but I was hoping the chemical cleaning ability of colorX could do the trick. I have some AIO, but haven`t tried it yet (until just now, I thought colorX was supposed to be stronger). I will try the AIO to see if it works any better. Do my results seem inline with everyone elses? Was I just using the wrong product?

VV