PDA

View Full Version : How well does KAIO remove swirls?

Pages : [1] 2

TGates
04-05-2004, 05:10 PM
I have been thinking about this lately....I used to use Zaino, and when the swirls would start to re-emerge, I would just slap some Z5 on there and be done with it for a couple of months. I am new to the Klasse scene, and am wondering if applying a fresh coat of AIO will take out the swirls that will have accumulated in the two month period between new coats.

If not, what would you recommend I use (that can be used by hand) to take the minor swirls out, IF the AIO doesn`t suffice?

Jesstzn
04-05-2004, 06:36 PM
AIO has no swirl fill properties .. I went AIO .. Z5 ( w/zfx) x 2 then sg x whatever. I polished the swirls out but had the Z5 so figured what the h*ll.

Accumulator
04-05-2004, 06:38 PM
No, AIO won`t remove swirls. It`s basically nonabrasive and you need something with abrasives in it to, well, abrade the paint down enough to remove the marring.

If you want something that won`t leave a residue/wax behind (as in, a prep for Zaino), maybe you could do it with 3M`s PI-III MG (pn 05397). It works OK by hand and usually leaves a ready-to-wax finish.

If you don`t mind wax and fillers being left behind (not heavy fillers, this stuff DOES mechanically remove marring), then try 1Z`s Paint Polish. It`s the MOST user-friendly stuff, especially for hand use. Maybe follow with their Metallic Polish.

TGates
04-05-2004, 07:31 PM
So, if swirls appear after my Klasse applications and my Souveran topper, I could basically just go in with some of this 1Z Paint Polish, right on top of everything that`s already on there, and buff the swirls out by hand? And this would leave a finish ready for the Klasse twins and Souveran?

Looking back on some past threads, there seems to be some controversy over whether the Klasse twins will bond to the 1ZPP. Something about it leaving some kind of residue behind that the Klasse doesn`t adhere to...What I don`t understand is if I use the 1Z to remove swirls, then apply the KAIO, which preps the paint for the KSG, what seems to be the problem?

I`m just looking for something that I can throw on there when the swirls get bad, and then continue with my KAIO/KSG/Souveran regime.

I wonder if maybe this http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html would be better for my application. I`m not so much interested in whatever I do use to remove swirl marks to be a polish...I just want it to remove them and get my paint ready for KAIO and KSG. My car is black....do you think this might be better for my application?

Jesstzn
04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by BlackSunshine

So, if swirls appear after my Klasse applications and my Souveran topper, I could basically just go in with some of this 1Z Paint Polish, right on top of everything that`s already on there, and buff the swirls out by hand? And this would leave a finish ready for the Klasse twins and Souveran?

Looking back on some past threads, there seems to be some controversy over whether the Klasse twins will bond to the 1ZPP. Something about it leaving some kind of residue behind that the Klasse doesn`t adhere to...What I don`t understand is if I use the 1Z to remove swirls, then apply the KAIO, which preps the paint for the KSG, what seems to be the problem?

I`m just looking for something that I can throw on there when the swirls get bad, and then continue with my KAIO/KSG/Souveran regime.

I wonder if maybe this http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html would be better for my application. I`m not so much interested in whatever I do use to remove swirl marks to be a polish...I just want it to remove them and get my paint ready for KAIO and KSG. My car is black....do you think this might be better for my application?

Regarding the Klasse twins bonding to 1ZPP there is no issue .. AIO will clean an prep the surface of anything left from the 1ZPP.

Regarding the 3M SMR I have it and it is full of fillers so once you think the surface is ok, the AIO will lift the fillers and you will have some of your swirls back.

I suggest you go with what Accumulator says .. What I use is best used with a PC.

TGates
04-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Regarding the Klasse twins bonding to 1ZPP there is no issue .. AIO will clean an prep the surface of anything left from the 1ZPP.

Regarding the 3M SMR I have it and it is full of fillers so once you think the surface is ok, the AIO will lift the fillers and you will have some of your swirls back.

I suggest you go with what Accumulator says .. What I use is best used with a PC.

I`m sorry, I just want to make sure I am getting the right impressions here. Are you referring to the 1Z or the 3M products he referred me to? I`m sorry if this is frustrating to any of you, but I am new to 3M products, and anything besides Zaino, really. I am assuming the AIO will lift the fillers used in any 3M product. If you all think the 1Z will work for me, then that`s good enough for me! That`s what I`m here for :wavey

groebuck
04-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Anything that leave behind fillers (3M Swirl Mark Remover )..those fillers will be removed when you use Klasse AIO - the chemical cleaner in it will remove the fillers - What you want to do first is address the swilrs (hello swirls :lol) I prefer Poorboy`s SSR line (2 is really good and works by hand or PC).

Then when you have a good prepped surface free of swirls you use the AIO - that will clean the paint and leave behind a small amount of acrylic for the sealant to bond to. Hope that helps.

TGates
04-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Alright, I think I got it this time :o Gotta love autopia. Thanks for the help fellas. Hopefully some time I can return the favor.

Embassy
04-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

If you want something that won`t leave a residue/wax behind (as in, a prep for Zaino), maybe you could do it with 3M`s PI-III MG (pn 05397). It works OK by hand and usually leaves a ready-to-wax finish.

Bear with me as I am new to this.

If I wanted to remove some swirls and light scratches before applying Z5, would the 3M product mentioned above be the most suitable?

In addition, after applying the 3M or any other recommended swirl remover product, do I need to use something like AIO? Or can I go ahead and start applying the Z5?

Thanks.

The acronyms on this site somtimes make my head spin. :D

TGates
04-06-2004, 02:58 PM
I am a newbie too, but let me offer what *I* think a reasonable answer is.

I used to be into the Zaino scene pretty heavy, and I remember numerous people using the 3M products to take out any swirls that might be in the paint, as none of the Zaino products have abrasives in them. They would use the 3M Perfect-It.

Now, I would recommend using this after you either wash with Dawn first (personal preference) and then clay. Then 3M, then Z1 or ZFX with Z5, then Z2.

The Z5 will hide swirls, but not remove them.

LouisanaJeeper
04-06-2004, 04:05 PM

Yeah, this stuff works pretty good. However, I have been getting a little sceptical about it recently. It says it has no fillers (yet it is pigmented a dark color :rolleyes: which suggests it may contain SOME sort of pigmented filler for dark cars). I also notice it does leave behind a very slightly oily finish or something on the finish (water beads when sprayed on finish after buffing off residue)

I from hear on out I`ll probably be doing a dawn wash on some sort of Alcohol QD after using this product when appling a sealant.

Embassy
04-06-2004, 04:24 PM

Thank you for the prompt responses.

I looked for the 3M product above but could not find a matching part number.

However, I did find these:

3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Show Car Machine Glaze (http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/Ec_Main.entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=559266&xid=28181&search_id=16048875&doc_id=2&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0)

3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirlmark Remover, PN 39009, 16 oz (http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/Ec_Main.entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=267747&xid=28181&search_id=16048875&doc_id=4&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0)

After using either of these products would anything else need to be done to the surface before applying the first coat of Z5?

As always, thank you in advance.

Accumulator
04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
As LouisanaJeeper said, there is some controversy over whether or not the 3M MG leaves anything behind. It says "filler free", but who knows. If in doubt (or using Zaino), better do a alcohol spritzer to be sure. I will say that using AIO after the MG works great. No problems at all, very easy combo. Any residue from the MG (sometimes you get it, sometimes you don`t) cleans right off with the AIO.

Embassy- The first of the products you linked is the smaller container version of the MG. Sorry, not familiar with the second product. Wild guess (based on the part number) is that it has fillers.

Blacksunshine- Hope everything is clearer now. You can use 1z before Klasse (it DOES remove marring through abrasion), but since it leaves waxes, etc. behind the AIO will have to remove that stuff. That`s why some people would rather use Menzerna, Poorboys`, or 3M polishes.

Embassy
04-06-2004, 05:18 PM

As LouisanaJeeper said, there is some controversy over whether or not the 3M MG leaves anything behind. It says "filler free", but who knows. If in doubt (or using Zaino), better do a alcohol spritzer to be sure. I will say that using AIO after the MG works great. No problems at all, very easy combo. Any residue from the MG (sometimes you get it, sometimes you don`t) cleans right off with the AIO.

Embassy- The first of the products you linked is the smaller container version of the MG. Sorry, not familiar with the second product. Wild guess (based on the part number) is that it has fillers.

Accumulator, thanks again for the insight. Looks like I`ll be picking up that 3M and and some AIO.

AutoNova
04-08-2004, 07:44 AM
How about just using Meg`s #9 2.0 swirl remover a proven and tested product. Put it on with the white PC pad work it in and then stick with a good filler wax.