PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Grit Wet Sanding scratches removal

coloradojeeps
04-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone. I am new here so please no flames.

I bought a Jeep Wrangler has some 2000 grit wet sanding scratches in the hood. II know they are 2000 grit because I asked the previous owner what happened. He told me they tried to remove some deeper scratches by wet sanding. I would like to remove these using my Porter Cable 7424. I have been reading all the great advice on this site and seem to be getting more about which chemicals and pads to use. So I need to get some advice. These are the steps I was thinking about:

DACP with 7006 pad

#82 Swirl Free Polish

#8 Hand Polish

#20 Sealer

I was thinking I would use a Meg 7006 pad with some DACP. I am pretty good with my polisher but I have never used the 7006 cutting pad. I am concerned I will make things worse. Is the 7006 pad with DACP going to be to aggressive?

Should I just use a 3M product instead. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike_Phillips
04-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by coloradojeeps

Hi everyone. I am new here so please no flames.

I bought a Jeep Wrangler has some 2000 grit wet sanding scratches in the hood. II know they are 2000 grit because I asked the previous owner what happened. He told me they tried to remove some deeper scratches by wet sanding. I would like to remove these using my Porter Cable 7424. I have been reading all the great advice on this site and seem to be getting more about which chemicals and pads to use. So I need to get some advice. These are the steps I was thinking about:

DACP with 7006 pad

#82 Swirl Free Polish

#8 Hand Polish

#20 Sealer

I was thinking I would use a Meg 7006 pad with some DACP. I am pretty good with my polisher but I have never used the 7006 cutting pad. I am concerned I will make things worse. Is the 7006 pad with DACP going to be to aggressive?

Should I just use a 3M product instead. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi coloradojeeps,

I`m trying to think of where I have posted and explained paint hardness and why you can`t effectively use a Porter Cable Dual Action polisher to remove sanding marks, or deep scratches.

The polishing effect if the porter cable is just to gentle, thus the reason they are safe, thus the reason they are so popular.

Chance are really good you will need to remove them with a rotary buffer.

The more aggressive you get with a PC past products like DACP and the W-8006 foam polishing pad, the greater the chance you have of dulling the finish. They just don`t offer the polishing action a rotary offers under the same circumstances.

What did the previous owner use to try to remove the sanding marks?, (or did he just sand it and leave it alone?)

Are they all over the hood, or just in an isolated area?

If you were nearby, I would just do it for you. Removing sanding marks out of clear coats that are cured, especially factory clear coats can be extremely difficult, especially if you don`t have a lot of experience doing this kind of thing.

You might want to consider checking around for a pro detailer, or a body shop guy who knows how to use a rotary buffer, foam pads and the right chemicals.

You could also rent a buffer from a tool rental store for the weekend. (That`s how I first cut my teeth using the rotary buffer)

Mike

coloradojeeps
04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
I don`t think he used anything to remove the scratches. It doesn`t look like it anyway. I think he was trying to make it look better to sell it faster.

The only time you can really see the scratches is when you are under flourescent light. In sunlight, you really have to look at it at just the right angle. The hood shines good. But you can see scratches under the shine pretty good in the correct light. I didn`t notice it when I purchased the Jeep. But when I first saw the hood under the light in my garage I could see them.

I will have to find a professional. I hope the clearcoat isn`t ruined and starts fading really bad in a few months.

Thanks alot.

Mike_Phillips
04-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear that he sanded it down and left it that way, and then didn`t tell you about it before you purchased the car.

Good luck!

Mike

paco
04-05-2004, 03:34 PM
If you can only see them in selected lighting conditions, then it may not be as bad as I would have originally thought.

2000 grit sanding marks should be very easily noticable and I would have leaned toward DACP/Cutting Pad on a rotary to deal with them.

I`d give it a go with the SFP/DA and see what you get. At the very least, you`ll probably make the finish look better than it currently sands as you`ll be removing any cowebbing etc that may be present, even if it doesn`t touch some of the deeper 2000 grit marks.

If the SFP helps the 2000 marks, then maybe moving up to DACP/DA and then step down again to SFP.

Good luck

coloradojeeps
04-05-2004, 04:47 PM
I found this picture here on this site and this is exactly what I have on my hood is several different spots.

Do you still think the SMR/DA wiill remove this? Which SMR should I get the II or the III?

Mike_Phillips
04-05-2004, 07:22 PM
You could try the #83 with the W-8006 foam pad on at least the 5.0 setting and work it for a long time. After the product is just about dissipated, add some more and keep going.

PC`s can remove paint, but it does take longer. I agree with Paco, you have nothing to lose and it should make your paint look better.

Maybe if your lucky, your paint won`t bee too hard and you get really great results,

I’m not going to recommend getting anymore aggressive than this because I think the potential to dull your surface is too great, I do know others on this forum have used our compounds, like #84 Compound Power Cleaner and #85 Diamond Cut Compound with good results too. That said, these products are designed to be used with rotary buffers.

"You never know what you can do until you try"

So.... try

Mike

coloradojeeps
04-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, Great News!

Before I went all crazy with really abrasive compounds and stuff. I tried the old fashioned way (by hand) and some 3M Perfect It II Fine Cut p/n 39002. I used a circular applicator pad.

To my amazement it removed all of the sanding scratches that were visible under flourescent light!

The Jeep must have a very soft clear coat. I did not have to work it really hard to get these results either.

I followed it up with some Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish that I had sitting around and then some Meguiars Gold Class Wax. It looks brand new!

Hopefully the 3M didn`t just "fill" the scratches, I doubt it. I didn`t spray it down and check really I was too excited that I was getting results.

It seems that every cars paint is a little different, some require alot of work and very abrasive cleaners and some don`t.

Thanks for your help on this guys!

Dtail
04-06-2004, 01:00 AM
I think that DACP will work to remove those 2000 grits. I wetsanded a key scratch on my door with 1500 grit and DACP removed it with ease. I followed it with FP and it came out great.

Mike_Phillips
04-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Like I always say...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

"You never know what you can do until you try"

So.... try

You can quote me on that...

(I did) :D

Mike