PDA

View Full Version : Problem with QEW

BlueRanger
04-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Im sure this problem is me, but I would like help fixing it. I was washing a surburban today (forgot how friggin BOHEMOTH these things were) And I notices the following:

1) There seemed to be dirt residue left on the paint after a pass with my sheepskin mitt.

So I tested it by just wiping off a section, and letting it dry, and YEP, my theory was right, there was dirt left behind. Now, im wondering why. Here is my theory:

1) Mitt is shot, need to get a new one

2) Cars just too dirty, should go back to traditional method

3) (unlikely) There is actually supposed to be dirt left behind to be picked up my my drying towell?

Please help me out guys, I really like the convience of QEW, I would hate to have to go back to traditional washing. (BTW, mixed 2 capefuls of QEW and 2 capfulls of FD with a gallon of warm water)

Thanks a lot.

-Bryan

AMP01
04-04-2004, 10:18 PM
BlueRanger,

I have never attempted to QEW a car as dirty as that one. I would probably try to rinse the car/truck off with a jet type of nozzle, area by area, and then try the QEW. I think this would work better for you.

Scottwax, are you out there? Please chime in on this!

Cheers,

Scottwax
04-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Go over the area twice with QEW before wiping off. I`ve cleaned much dirtier cars than that with QEW.

BlueRanger
04-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Scott, do you have any dirt residue left after your pass with the sponge and QEW, or is the surface completly dirt free? Thanks a lot

Scottwax
04-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Sometimes there is a little dirt left, but the terry cloth towel gets that (and taking care to leave some moisture behind) and I make another pass with a microfiber towel to complete the drying. No scratches, no problems.

imported_Intermezzo
04-05-2004, 12:36 PM
BlueRanger, with a sheepskin washmitt, there will be some dirt left over when using QEW. I would try switching to a cotton mitt. Sometimes I use an MF mitt with QEW and it leaves the surface completely free of dirt...but the problem with MF mitts is that it`s difficult to loosen embedded particles, so I think cotton is a good compromise.

imported_Luster
04-05-2004, 12:51 PM
When using QEW, I always us a Microfiber towel.

Fold the towel twice. This will make 8 wiping surfaces.

If the vehicle is as dirty as the one in the picture, make only one pass per clean side of the towel.

Then rinse thoroughly and repeat.

Then go over then entire truck with your fav QD.

I rarely use the traditional wash method after discovering QEW...

RobertM
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Sometimes there is a little dirt left, but the terry cloth towel gets that (and taking care to leave some moisture behind) and I make another pass with a microfiber towel to complete the drying. No scratches, no problems.

Scott, when you use QEW, what do you use to clean with (such as MF, mitt, etc)? I though that you said before than you use the folded MF method, but I wanted to make sure. I`m going to buy some QEW today.

Thanks,

Robert

Scottwax
04-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Robert-I use chenille covered foam pads for washing and a terry cloth towel (first pass) and microfiber towel (second pass) to dry. It is important you leave some water behind for the mf towel so you are not wiping a towel across dry paint or you will leave drying streaks.

boarderx
04-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Good tips, thanks.

I was actually quite surprised that you said you`ve cleaned cars a lot more dirty than the one pictured above. I`ve always been too worried to use QEW on really dirty cars. I`ve never washed with a chenille pad though. Maybe that`s the secret.

Originally posted by Scottwax

Robert-I use chenille covered foam pads for washing and a terry cloth towel (first pass) and microfiber towel (second pass) to dry. It is important you leave some water behind for the mf towel so you are not wiping a towel across dry paint or you will leave drying streaks.

Jcrawford
04-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Scott,

w/ qew 1 bucket or 2??

BlueRanger
04-07-2004, 01:49 AM
I would certinly hope 2...