PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Guard

Pages : [1] 2

Juveluve
04-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Hello All-

I am a very new member and I have a question regarding Crystal Guard. I have a new Suzuki Aerio GS Sedan (which is awesome, I might add) that has Crystal Guard clearcoat. I had this as a Dealer Installed Option, which was expensive but worth it totally, I hope. I do have a lifetime warranty for the Crystal Guard, but I don`t really want to have it applyed again if it isn`t necessary. My question is, what are the best products to use for basic washing and major detailing? How do I keep that manufacteurs guarantee of major bling? I do use the kit they gave me which includes a sponge and a little bottle of special application you use after a wash, but the first time I used it, which was a few days ago after a car wash, it doesn`t have a major shine to it? I would appreciate anyone`s help. And sorry for posting a novel. Thx!

detailbarn
04-04-2004, 12:05 AM
First off welcome to Autopia.:D

Onto the Crystal Guard question , I did a complete test and review of this product. I applied it to several different vehicles one brand new , one freshly detailed and one that was a few years old with no detail work done to it. After all my testing I have personally concluded this product to be a gimick. There is no product that will last a lifetime on a car , if that was true than the clear coat would be good enough to protect the car. I noticed no real increase in shine and the surface was not very slick at all. And it did not bead or sheet water at all. I feel it is not much more than a very harsh chemical cleaner. Also if you use anything else on your car besides Crystal Guard you will void the warranty , so the only thing you`re really suppose to do is wash it with their wash or plain water and apply the quick version on a regular basis.

My suggestion would be to try and get your money back from the dealer and then use one of the quality sealants available, such as Klasse , Zaino , Wolfgang ect. If you need more info or help with this PM me and I will help as much as I can.

Sidney Trainer
04-04-2004, 12:40 AM
I am with Detail Barn. The people on here know of my problems with Crystal Guard. I thought this was a closed chapter in my detailing life. It did not work for me. After thorough testing of the products, the Quick, and the Pro Application I came to the conclusion that Detail Barn came to. I also had what I considered to be a negative experience with the people at Crystal Guard as well. However I leave it to you to decide what products/sealants you are going to be applying to your car. I have chosen products such as CarPolishes Final Polish, and Klasse at the top of my list personally. I certainly hope this does not trigger an attack from anyone who favors Crystal Guard, however.... I truly believe if we took a poll on here to see what the favorite sealants are Crystal Guard would certainly lose. :nixweiss Maybe thats just my opinion. Take it for what its worth, I have done my share of detailing and detailed everything from Range Rovers, to Lexus, to Aston Martin, and Porsche to mention a few.... :xyxthumbs

Dtail
04-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I`ve used their crystal guard quick and was very happy with the results. It`s very reflective and shiny. It really looks like there`s glass on the paint. The CG quick lasted about 2 months on my silver corolla. I haven`t tried the pro kit though. It feels really slick on the first application but after a wash slickness is gone. It does sheets water off the paint which makes it easy for me to dry my car. The product needs 24-48 hours to bond and cure so they recommend not to wash the car until the 4th or 5th day after applying the product. Here is my procedure applying crystal guard. Leave your car wet after a wash. Then get a damp MF towel and spray the CG quick on the MF towel (maybe 2-3 sprays per panel) then apply panel by panel. Let it dry, then buff it with a dry MF towel. Make sure you don`t use too much CG because it will make it harder to buff. It will leave some haze. Hope this help. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me. Hope this helps.

JustinR32
04-04-2004, 04:52 PM
I used the CG Pro and I liked it a lot, but I also think it`s very expensive.

As far as keeping the major bling, I dunno. I use new products so quickly that I never get to see if there`s mb down the road, I like to make my own bling.

Tom

Dtail
04-04-2004, 04:57 PM
hey mosca, how is the CG pro holding up? Any updates?

Chris Y.
04-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Is the Crystal Guard you folks are talking about the same as the CG from Japan?

www.crystalguard.jp

CG is pretty popular for exotic car owners in Japan.

-Chris

Chris Y.
04-04-2004, 05:37 PM
I found the site in English...

http://www.crystalguard.com

It claims CG is 800% more durable than other brands...and it`s glass based...

Is this a case of "if it`s too good to be true..."?

JustinR32
04-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I waxed it about 3 weeks later with NXT, to see if the sleight cleaners would remove the CG, and it did.

I personally wouldn`t be interested in a product that would keep me from waxing and caring for my cars. That would be like buying plastic plants, IMO.

Tom

Juveluve
04-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey all-

Thanks a whole lot for the Crystal Guard information. As far as the warranty information, it states that if something does happen to the paint, I can get as many reapplications of Crystal Guard done, since I did pay something like $700 - $900 for the lifetime warranty. It does show good signs as far as hardness and bling, but I feel that if I use other products in conjunction like other waxes and washes, etc, I might get better results. Also, along with the reapplication of the Crystal Guard, I can also get the interior reapplied with Scotch Guard. All in all, I think it was a good deal, but I am a neat freak, and if I see a small scratch, piece of chipped paint, lint, etc, I will freak out! Again, thanks for all the great opinions!

detailbarn
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
check your warranty before you apply anything else , if I remember correctly if you use anything besides Crystal Guard you will void the warranty.

Juveluve
04-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Thx detailbarn. I will definitely look at my CG manual this evening! Peace Out and have a good week!

diamondjim2216
04-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Juveluve,

Shoot me an email at jim@crystalgaurd.com. I`ll answer your questions about the warranty and other stuff. I won`t comment on the negative feedback here..

And just to clarify, not much voids the warranty, and certainly not using waxes on the sealant. Make sure you know what you state befoer posting something negative, Detailbarn...I understand you don`t like the product..fine...but be accurate in your statements..

SamIam
04-06-2004, 04:36 PM
I have a question: Do you need to rejuvenate the product, or reapply every six months?

Also, I am guessing that the warranty doesn`t cover things like scratches or swirls that occur, does it?

What does the warranty cover?

JustinR32
04-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I`ll go on record as stating I really liked the look of the product; the reason CG is not for me is that I really REALLY like caring for my car!

I`m not privy to the dealings that others have had with DiamondJim, but my dealings with him have been pleasant and professional.

Tom