PDA

View Full Version : Help with leather care

ddolat
04-03-2004, 09:41 PM
I purchased my F150 with dealer installed leather and am having trouble figuring out how to best care for it. According to the owner`s manual I only need to clean them with a damp cloth, a mild soap solution, or Motorcraft Leather and Vinyl Cleaner. I have read through the previous posts and I am now a bit confused. The way I understand it, if I have clear coated leather then when I use a cleaner on my seats I should not get any color from the seats onto the towel. Also if I put a few drops of water on the seat surface and let it sit, the water should not be absorbed or darken the leather. Well I tried the water test and no water was absorbed and the leather color did not change, so according to this test I have clear coated leather. Now the problem is that when I cleaned the seats with Motorcraft Leather and Vinyl Cleaner I got tan color from the seats onto the towel I was using. This happened both on the seating surfaces as well as the vinyl sides to the seat. Can anyone help me figure out what type of leather I have and how I should care for it? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

scottabir
04-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Is it dirt? Sounds like it if it comes from both the vinyl and leather in the same area. I have never tried motorcraft products so maybe it is a strong cleaner? I would be inclined to say it is dirt coming from the seat and surrounding area.

Edit*try a woolite mixture (6:1) amd see if more color comes out on a towel not.

LouisanaJeeper
04-03-2004, 10:19 PM
If they were Ford OEM leaher seats the following should be applicable.

Ford leather is sort of cheezy. It is spray dyed (kind of like spray painted) and given a topcoat of clear vinyl. So...you should not be treating it like leather as the top layer is going to be vinyl. Use Vinlex (made by lexol) or mabey 303 if you can find it.

I have Ford leather and I have not seen any color on the applicator when I use 303.

Anthony O.
04-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I would shelf that cleaner you have and opt for either the 6:1 Woolite solution or try the Klasse leather & vinyl cleaner/conditioner.

I have not used the "303" or the "Lexol" BUT others have and they have a good rep on this board.

Sometimes a NEW interior will bleed some color at first but it shouldn`t be alot nor should it continue.

Anthony

ddolat
04-04-2004, 10:07 AM
I tried the Woolite mixture this morning on a section and no color came off, then I tried the Motorcraft Cleaner again and the same tan residue appeared on the towel I was using. The seats say SVO Classic Soft Trim on the back and they were installed be the dealer therefore I don`t know if they are the same material as original. How should I care for these seats? Should I be conditioning them or treating them with Vinylex or 303 as mentioned above?

Anthony O.
04-04-2004, 10:15 AM
I would toss that Motorcraft stuff in the trash:nono

Personally I would go for either the 303 or the Klasse product I mentioned earlier. You have a clear coated finish on your seats which means they are painted and not dyed.

Clean with the Woolite solution and protect with 303 or the Klasse.

Anthony