PDA

View Full Version : Touch up door edges

Fleet
04-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Hello everybody,

I finished washing my car this morning, and "discovered" my passenger door`s edge is filled with dings. The black paint is gone from a number of spots along the edge of the door. There is a white surface showing.

On previous vehicles, I`ve had this problem, and just let it go since they were lease vehicles. I`m buying this one, so I want to keep it looking good. So, I`ve decided to put door edge guards on all 4 doors, since this is a recurring problem.

My question is, do I need to touch up the paint before putting the guards on? I don`t want rust. If so, is primer needed? By the way, I have no PC, this will be a dab job out of the bottle of touchup paint. But since I will be covering with door guard, I want to only do it once.

Thanks for the input!

Fleet

scottabir
04-03-2004, 09:51 PM
*I* would do the touch ups before the guard is installed. If you only want to do it once might as well do it before the guard is installed so that later down the road you dont go Man I wish I would have fixed those.

If you do choose to touch them up you can always try to use a small artist brush to minimize the amount of "dab" coming out of the bottle. do a bunch of small layers (letting each dry before another one is added) of paint rather than one big bubbled up glop...it will look much better. I would put a touch of primer in there to insure adhesion ect...since you only want to do it once, might as well go all out.

Jesstzn
04-03-2004, 10:12 PM
On the door egdes I have had good luck with the touchup and Langka. You may not even need the guards ..

Is there no way you can stop the chipping or is your passenger the one that door dings everyone elses cars?