PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Gloves for use during buffing

Spilchy
04-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Often times I am working on cars that require serious polishing. For the most part I use a PC cranked up to 6. I work and work the buffer over the whole car.

Usually I follow the first step with a less abrasive polish with the PC on 4.5 or 5.

By the time I am ready to wax, my palms are bright red, almost blistery and ache really bad. Despite buffing tons of cars, my hands still hurt. And despite having rough hands from all the car product chemicals, I have not built up a tolerance.

I came across some mechanics gloves while purchasing some products online.

I have been using them now everytime I polish. They absorb much of the vibration from the PC. They absorb the abuse, provide cushion and protect my palms and fingers from blisters.

They have been a life saver. Later in the evening when I am a little sore (not like I used to be as a newbie ;)) my hands feels great! Not a single ache.

Also, I leave them on when I buff off and have not had them mar the surface because the MF is folded in such a way that the glove doesn`t touch the surface. I take them off when I wax and QD. Also, sice they are fingerless I can feel the surface.

They are located here: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/RIN-16310.html

I got them for that price. They have some other products on sale that I mentioned in another post.

Check it out. You all will need a size large if you buy them.

70fastback
04-03-2004, 08:58 PM
My brother is a welder and he picked me up two different pair of gloves which are very similar to the ones on your link. Cut-off fingers and padded on the palm. He told me the guys in the finishing dept. would use them while they use grinders and D/A sanders (PC) to finish the welds. They have been sitting in my garage on a shelf. Guess it`s time to dust them off and give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW check your PM.

gb387
04-03-2004, 08:58 PM
You know I was going to ask if anyone used gloves while waxing... I guess others do I am going to pick up a pair similar to the ones you have. The "Mechanic" type with the fingers cut out seems like good idea.

Bill D
04-03-2004, 08:59 PM
I bought a pair of Mechanix brand gloves for $20 at Auto Zone I use for oil and coolant changes. Now I`ll use them during a full detail as well :up

Spilchy
04-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Check em` out fellas. I think you`ll like them.

Again, just use for polishing with a machine.

They make a world of difference. Look for ones that have cushioning. Also, look for the fingerless. You get more "feel" for what you are doing.

imported_Macgirl
04-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Splichy,

You beat me to the post! I ordered a vibration dampening glove a couple of months ago but haven`t had the chance to use it yet. I broke my PC in last season and it really irritated my wrist, I still have pain and was worried about being able to use the PC this season. I`m glad to hear that the VD glove helped. I ordered mine through some safety gear place. Here is a link (http://www.chaseergo.com/CHASEERG/PRODUCT/49431W.htm), I only got one for the left hand and it has a wrist brace with inserts in it to keep the wrist immobile.

andriver
04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Spilchy, great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Anthony O.
04-03-2004, 11:27 PM
I use a pair of the Mechanix gloves and a anit-vibration pair sold at Grainger Tools.

I used to wear baseball gloves when cleaning windows as the high humidity here in South Texas causes me to sweat so much that my windows towels would get all funky from my sweat:doh

Sweat has got to be the hardest crud to remove from glass and paint.....it can really stick and smear.....yuck!

Anthony

wifehatescar
04-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Spilchy-

I bought the same Ringer CT gloves on your recommendation and they are worth the money! Thanks for the tip!

PS- you can buy them online at Sears.com or Craftsman.com

Spilchy
04-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by wifehatescar

Spilchy-

I bought the same Ringer CT gloves on your recommendation and they are worth the money! Thanks for the tip!

PS- you can buy them online at Sears.com or Craftsman.com

:xyxthumbs Glad to be of service!