PDA

View Full Version : Can you wash microfibers with dish washing soap?

h22accordex
04-03-2004, 07:57 PM
I ran outha my Micro restore and was tryin to think of a alternative to use. I was thinkin dish wash soap since its so good at removing wax and grease. Is it ok to use or is it too strong?

tom p.
04-03-2004, 08:05 PM
I wonder if you`d end up with excessive foaming. Why not just settle for your basic TIDE detergent?

thinksnow
04-03-2004, 08:10 PM
I wonder if you`d end up with excessive foaming.

If you are talking machine wash, this is a definite possibility unless you were to squeeze the Dawn bottle until one bubble floated up and into the tub (hard to master). I would go the Tide route with distilled vinegar rinse.

poormanisme
04-03-2004, 08:13 PM
I`ve used dawn in the washing machine with a vinager rinse and it worked pretty well i wouldn`t hesitate doing it again if i had to. BTW, i don`t normally wash my MF`s this way but i was bored one day and gave it a try.:D

Jesstzn
04-03-2004, 10:14 PM
I wash my m/f in Dawn in the washing machine all the time .. I just do an additional rinse and add vinigar

GoodnClean
04-04-2004, 12:34 AM
How do you guys do the vinegar rinse, just wait for the last rinse and fling it in?

imported_edschwab1
04-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Use woolite.

Eric

percynjpn
04-04-2004, 08:52 AM
I usually wash it in the machine with other terry towels, but I`ve washed it by hand in a bucket (several washes and rinses) with dish soap; either seems to work fine for me.

poormanisme
04-04-2004, 09:02 AM
How do you guys do the vinegar rinse, just wait for the last rinse and fling it in?

yep:D

Jesstzn
04-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

I reset the machine to rinse and add it then

medic159
04-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Just wash in hot water using any regular liquid detergent. Steer clear of diswashing liquids in the washing machine as they make too many suds which will leave a residue on the cloth.

Distilled white vinegar rinse: one tablespoon per towel in the final rinse will help the fibers shed excess detergent.

Spilchy
04-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Clean out your fabric softner dispenser and put the vinegar in there. It`ll do the rest, releasing it at the right time. Go spend your time doing something meaningful instead of watching your washing machine waiting to add it :D

Don`t use too much vinegar. Your cloths will smell of it when dry.

Don`t use Dawn in a washing machine. It`s too concentrated and can produce too many suds especially if you have soft water.

Use hot water with a quality liquid detergent. I like Tide Clear.

Jesstzn
04-04-2004, 09:33 AM
All these "Don`t Use Dawn" postings .. amount of suds are relevent to the ratio of soap and water ... if your going to put in 4 oz of Dawn your going to get lots of suds .. I use 2 teaspoons in a full water level. The suds are no more than 1/2" deep on the top of the water. About the same as a normal detergent wash with clothes.

At the end of the first rinse there is no visable soap scum/residue or what ever you want to call it nor is there much of the Dawn odor left.

Once the cycle is finished I reset to the rinse cycle and add vinigar. I have looked at dispensing vinigar from the fabric softener dispenser but its not easily taken apart to be cleaned.

I have taken these Dawn washed towels and rubbed them dry and damp on the inside of the windshield in the sun and nothing rubs off on the glass .. to me .. that is no residue.