PDA

View Full Version : Bug `n Tar Removers; what do youse guys like?

Pages : [1] 2

JustinR32
04-03-2004, 01:30 PM
There aren`t a lot of reviews, so I`m kinda in the air. I`ve used GooGone, TW, Xenit, and Tarminator. I kind of prefer the limolene-based products (Xenit, GooGone) over the Xylene-based products, but I`m open. My favorite so far is probably the Xenit.

Anyone else have a DISTINCT preference for one product over another?

Tom

imported_Aurora40
04-03-2004, 01:34 PM
One I actually really like is Meguiar`s Gold Class Bug & Tar Remover. The thing I like about it is that it isn`t overly powerful or full of solvents. Some B&T removers are closer to paint removers... The Meg`s stuff is not harsh at all, though it also isn`t suitable for massive amounts of tar or really old crusted tar. It won`t make the tar run off down the body panel like when I use 3M Adhesive, Wax & Tar Remover... My cars are rarely in need of something that strong.

tom p.
04-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

3M Adhesive, Wax & Tar Remover...

The 3M product is still the best. It can often be found in better hardware stores and maybe Home Depot.

Embassy
04-03-2004, 02:28 PM
For heavy tar, I use the 3M adhesive remover while I use Turtle Wax`s bug and tar remover for day-to-day bug removal.

Jcrawford
04-03-2004, 02:32 PM
1z anti-insekt :up

Dinzdale40
04-03-2004, 02:54 PM
been using gunk stuff.....it doesn`t seem too strong....I guess it`s alright tho........

vwjettak2gti16v
04-03-2004, 03:02 PM
i found if you spray glass cleaner on the bugged area and let it sit for a lil bit then wash if they come off easy

imported_FLAWLESS
04-03-2004, 04:08 PM
"Youse guys" LOL :D You`re definitely from PA!

I use Meguiars Gold Class B/T Remover. Rewax treated areas. :up

Mindflux
04-03-2004, 04:16 PM
3m Adhesive and Wax remover!

Takes just about anything off.. I just used a TON of it getting the side of my moms car cleaned up. She must have at some point ran over some REALLY fresh tar, because it splattered up all over her E320 Benz.

III
04-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I use turtle wax bug & tar remover in the green/black spray bottle. They make another version I believe in a white spray can which is a foam. This will strip wax while the other one won`t

explorer
04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
I use P21S Total Wash:xyxthumbs than I re-wax the treated areas, sometimes I find myself out of P21S and use paint thinner:nixweiss it does a great job and never hurt my car:wavey

Mantic6t9
04-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JCrawford

1z anti-insekt :up

me too

rstype
04-03-2004, 11:18 PM
I prefer cheapo solvent generic wax slop, dabbing it on the tar, letting it dissolve, and wiping it off. It doesn`t get all over the place like spray cleaners and leaves the surface nice and slick.

Jesstzn
04-04-2004, 10:25 AM
For bugs I prefer to lay a water soaked towel over them to soften

For tar .. just use the cheapest thing out there, mineral spirits, soak an old towel, wet the tar, and put the towel over it, let it set.

Check it once in a while to see it the taris breaking down, maybe wet it again with the mineral spirits and take your time.

It will break down and wipe right off with the mineral spirits wetted towel.

mineral spirits WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR PAINT, just don`t have to worry about , like with the 3M or even read the warning label on the Goo stuff, an open flame when doing the process.

Mr Concours
04-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Thirded on the 3m tar remover, I also like Autoglyms version which is easier to come buy over here in England.