PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Question

crazybeaner
04-03-2004, 11:51 AM
hey guys whats up? well this is my first post. I was told from a member from honduh.com that you guys know your stuff when it comes to detailing. now today is a nice cloudy day in so cal so i decided to wax my car. ive used meguiars red and tan bottles for wax in the past. but i need some more info on what other products i can use. ive heard that you can use NXT, it gives durability and a nice shine. but you guys are the experts so i would like your info.

in my detailing, i was going to use a basic wash with my Autodry, then clay the whole car with clay magic, then after that wax my car. i have a silver accord. please let me know if that process is wrong and i am open for ideas. please help! thank you!

jasonatv22
04-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Nothing you have said is wrong. But if ther is a problem with some part of your paint, take a picture and post it up here.

Silver is such an easy color. I`m not clear what an Autodry is. When you clay, make sure to use way too much lubricant. The only two errors you can make with clay are underlubrication and thinking you need to scrub with it.

NXT may not stick over the Meguiars Step 2 polish. I`m not sure Step 2 is a pure polish with no carnuba. A synthetic like NXT won`t stick over a carnuba. At least not as well.

When you`re done, put pics of your car in the click and brag section. Welcome to Autopia. Hondas have great paint.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-04-2004, 02:02 PM
You definetely need a polish after your clay! Why dont your forego the consumer line Megs and step up to either the pro line or ColorX/NXt combo........Pro series, i would consider the Medallion cleaner, and medallion Polymer sealant.....

Ive had great success with the ColorX, and whatever topper im hot for, for that particular situation...I too own a silver truck, and use every polish/sealer combo known to man......lol

As for clays and lubes, IMO there is a fine line, too much lube doesnt allow proper surface contact with the clay, resulting in improper cleaning....Not enough leaves residue, so play around, use just enough, and then cut back a tad, and adjust pressure.....Id rather leave a little residue, and clean up afterwards.....

chris0626
04-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

You definetely need a polish after your clay!

How can you say that when he hasn`t told us the age or condition of his paint???? On my old Jag with pristine, swirl-free paint, I clay regulary and have never needed an abrasive polish. So I just don`t buy the "you must polish after clay" line. YMMV ...

a.k.a. Patrick
04-07-2004, 09:17 AM
i was going to use a basic wash with my Autodry, then clay the whole car with clay magic, then after that wax my car

Lynn, i dont know about you, or others` method of operation, but my experience tells me you should always clean prior to waxing/sealing. I dont consider claying, the ultimate cleaner. This forum preaches proper process. Why would you even skip the step ? I assumed his Honda wasnt
pristine, swirl-free paint, fairly safe assumption, considering this is his first post. I mentioned it for the simple reason its a totally harmless step, only takes minimal time, and the benefits outweigh the alternate (No polishing).

chris0626
04-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Patrick, my comment was because I`m very dubious about polishing (which removes some -- however slight -- layer of clear/paint) more often than is required by the condition of the paint. If he had said he had scratches/swirls, then I might agree with you that he should polish. But he did not say that. I don`t think the Autopia ethic says you have to abrade your car`s finish every time you touch it. I think out ethic is that we do what the car NEEDS.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Ive always considered Autopians a little anal...hehe, we normally do more than whats required.....

At any rate, no argument intended, personally, again, i have yet to do a car that hasnt had a need for even a chemical polish. I dont have many clients who have garage babies....