PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Scratch-X

imported_speedingpenguin
04-03-2004, 11:39 AM
How should I apply this? What should I do before and after?

Is it a good product? Thanks

DantePasquale
04-03-2004, 02:00 PM
I have had good success with this product on paint, glass, black plastic and interior wood trim.

I apply with MF towel, just a dab, start by rubbing lightly until almost dry. Remove with clean MF towel. If scratch is still there, try again with a little more pressure. Take your time, the less pressure the better, depending on your paint/surface. Follow up with a good wax/sealant.............

DantePasquale
04-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Forgot to add, as a general rule, rub perpendicular to the scratch.

Mr Monk
04-03-2004, 02:11 PM
speedingpenguin...yes, Scratch-X is a good tool to use to remove light scratches. Like pwalk said go lightly. Keep at it unless the scratch is deeper than you thought then you`ll have to use another product. If you have a PC then Megs DACP would help.

PS: I`ve used Scratch-X with a PC with good success. Yes, I know the directions say for hand use but Mike Philips over at ShowCarGarage has used it with a PC and he`s the Megs guru!!!

Hey, if the guru says it`s ok, then it must be ok !!!

imported_Blake
04-03-2004, 04:40 PM
It is also a good idea to only use the least aggressive product you can get away with. ScratchX is great for nicks and small scratches but in many cases a product like #83 will do the job and it`s made for a PC. ScratchX can be too aggressive.

imported_speedingpenguin
04-03-2004, 05:20 PM
well i dont have a PC, so it would be done by hand....

I went out and washed the car and dryed with some cheapie wal-mart MF towells, then used a clean one to apply some of the scratch-x to the trunk......ehhh....i followed the directions but almost all of the scratches were still there.....

04BlackAV
04-03-2004, 06:00 PM
It may take more than one try to remove the scratches.I`ve used Scratch X before,I applied by hand with a foam pad and buffed with lite pressure till almost dry then wiped off with a MF.I did this at least 4 times till the scratch was gone.Then did a QD with 50/50 iso/water and the scratch was gone and not just filled in.I guess it depends on how bad the scratches are.

Autoeng
04-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Works best on light colors as well.

imported_speedingpenguin
04-03-2004, 08:39 PM
:-/ dark green cadillac

thinksnow
04-03-2004, 10:10 PM
with some cheapie wal-mart MF towells, then used a clean one to apply some of the scratch-x to the trunk

Therein may lie the problem. When applying abrasives and polishes to the paint, you will need something with "bite" like a folded cotton towel, terry applicator, or mf applicator. I`m afraid that the mf towel would just move the product around and not allow it to do its work.

imported_speedingpenguin
04-04-2004, 12:38 AM
oh lol

well i`ve got some applicator pads around here somewhere.......

BTW, off topic sorta, but does washing the car with one of those big yellow `turtle wax` sponges harm the paint?

thinksnow
04-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Do a search for "sheepskin wash mitt" and you will find some fairly comprehensive explanations as to why one mitt is better than another. In a nutshell, sponges will keep contaminants on the wash surface while long-fibered wash mitts will draw dirt into the mitt. This minimizes wash-induced scratches.

gav'spurplez
04-05-2004, 01:30 AM
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gavspurplez@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/53cb&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gavspurplez@sbcglobal.net/my_photos

As you can see by the first pic, i used scratch x followed by deep crystal polish and gold class wax