PDA

View Full Version : BMW 17" Painted Aluminum Rims With Slight Yellow Stain After Winter Driving - Help...

imported_SilverStallion
04-03-2004, 02:20 AM
I have a 2003 BMW 330i that I drove all winter and regularly washed. I noticed this week as I detailed the car that I have a slight yellow stain on the front rims between teh spokes that would not come off with the Zaino car soap that I used. I tried a bit of wax and it too would not remove the stain, although it did lessen it.

What should I use on my rims to restore the original finish colour? I am hesitant to use any of the rim cleaners as I have heard that the harsh acids will erode the finish. The rims are regularly Zainoed, and I only use the Zaino soap. I contemplated using a polishing compound with some wax mixed in as a cleaner, but wondered what you professionals would recommend.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

~Darren

imported_SilverStallion
04-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Bump...would still appreciate some input.

Thanks.

~Darren

andriver
04-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Darren, you may try claying the rims. Followup with AIO if available and a sealant. A2Z will not harm your rims as long as you don`t let it dry. I would only use it as needed. Good Luck.

bjwebster
04-04-2004, 10:29 AM
When my rims were in bad shape after a long nasty winter, A2Z was the only thing that cleaned them up. A2Z is some strong stuff, but used with care, I think is a good product. ymmv

tpgsr
04-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I just did a BMW X5 that had the same problem, what i used quite successfully was 303 aerospace cleaner diluted 20:1. It cleaned the brake dust and some yellowing that was occuring on the inside of the wheel. I had the luxury of the wheels not being on the car, but either way it should come off. Good luck

37buckeye
04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
I used the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner to remove some yellowing that occurred on my Volvo`s wheels. I sprayed the gel onto the wheel, let it soak for several minutes, and lightly agitated the wheel.

You could also try AIO, Wheel Wax, or Eagle One A2Z as alternatives. A2Z is the strongest of the four, but should not damage the wheel when used with care.

imported_SilverStallion
04-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Problem solved...you guys game me a thought and it worked. I used the Meguires Fine Cut Cleaner, followed by a Coat of Zaino Show Car Polish and they actually look better than ever.

My thanks...I was hesitant on the acid based products as I have had bad experiences. The cleaner wax worked like a charm. When I remove the wheel to detail the calipers again in a few weeks, I will do the inside of the rim as well.

Now, off I go to finish buffing off the NXT from the body.

~Darren