PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Calipers

Mindflux
04-02-2004, 08:41 PM
My vehicle (VW GTI 337) has factory red painted calipers. Unfortunately, the calipers look very dull from a years worth of brake dust on them. Is there a tool I can use to scrub them clean? It seems rather silly to take each wheel off (which I do not have the ability to do in my driveway with the slope) to wipe them down with a mitt.

Could I just spray some P21s on them, scrub them with some long bristled rod to clean them up? What do you guys do?

Thanks!

tom p.
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
There`s nothing to lose. OTOH, if that doesn`t work you should consider removing the wheel so you have better access.

Originally posted by Mindflux

Could I just spray some P21s on them, scrub them with some long bristled rod to clean them up?

Caliper (F) on my 4 year old Jetta:

Mindflux
04-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Well what do you use to get to the calipers with the wheel on?

tom p.
04-02-2004, 09:08 PM
the wheels get cleaned with P21S everytime the car is washed. I have given the calipers NO special care and don`t really make any attempt to clean them.

Mindflux
04-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Hrmpph.. You should see mine, the calipers are COVERED in brake dust.

tom p.
04-02-2004, 09:19 PM
:D

Bill D
04-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Hmmm.. Griots Garage may have brushes designed to fit in spaces like that without having to take off the wheel. I think Top Of the Line also carries a motorcycle parts brush that could be used for this purpose.

I have even seen brushes sorta like these in local hardware stores, intended for cleaning home AC units which also might be worth a shot too.

Accumulator
04-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Hmmm.. Griots Garage may have brushes designed to fit in spaces like that without having to take off the wheel..

Yeah, for regular cleanings, I use the cylindrical BHB in the kit Griot`s sells (pn 15520). It fits through the spokes in *my* wheels, but if you have "BBS style" wheels you`ll be SOL. I`ll pull the car forward/back once to expose the caliper a little better and make it easier to get to the area (on the back of the wheel) where it`s tight between the caliper and wheel.

If you REALLY detail them every now and then (pulling the wheels, polishing, cleaning with AIO, etc.), this works pretty well with just EFHI or a good wheel cleaner. But eventually you do have to pull the wheels off.

Bill D
04-04-2004, 12:23 PM
I frequently use some used toothbrushes for a variety of detailing jobs : Talk about double value for your dollar :D :xyxthumbs

imported_FLAWLESS
04-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey bud. We have the same brakes (I drive a 20th) so I think I can help.

Our brakes are powdercoated, not painted. If they`re as bad as you`re making them sound, definitely pull the wheels off. Any stong cleaner mentioned should work. After this past winter, when I took the winter wheels off and put the OZ`s back on, I used Meguiars Wheel Brightener from the Pro Detailer line. Scrub them with that or something similar.

Then once you have them clean, spray some of the cleaner on them every wash or couple washes. The Wheel Brightener gets the dust off in no time at all for me. As long as it`s not too bad, no agitation should be required.