PDA

View Full Version : Hnest Opinion on Menzerna IP

imported_Bulldog
04-02-2004, 09:03 AM
I have started to tackle the swirl marks on my wife`s Accord. Yesterday afterwork, I dawn washed and clayed. I then proceeded to use the IP with my PC on about the "2" setting. Because the lights in my garage suck I have no pics, but I do not think there was much improvement in the swirl marks. I used the orange pad I bought from this site with the small (5 1/2"?) backer and 6" counterweight. I took my time on it doing about 2x2 sections. On the second go around, I increased the speed to just under "4". When I saw the hood this morning before work there were still swirl marks everywhere. Should I just keep trying with this product? Am I using the correct pad/speed? I was hoping to to follow this product with FP, AIO, than P21S. Is IP agressive enough. The swril marks are everywhere but feel relatively smooth to the touch. Sorry no pics, I actually tried but my camera`s a POS and did not show any swirl marks. I apologize also if this exact thing has been covered before but being I am at work I cannot SEARCH as completely as I like without my supervisor getting nosy. Any help would be appreciated. :nixweiss

Steve @ Guru
04-02-2004, 09:12 AM
The color of your car can play a big part in how obvious those swirl marks are, and I`m assuming the car is a dark color? Swirls like you`re describing usually show up really well (unfortunately) on dark colored cars, and are thus somewhat more difficult to remove or hide.

I`ve not been lucky enough to have great results with IP or FP - I experienced similar results as you have. However, it sounds a little like you may be using the PC a tad on the slow side. Don`t be afraid to crank it up to 5-ish with the FP, and don`t be afraid to really work it into the surface. You may even have to re-wet it a bit to keep working it. I`ve found the longer I work the FP, the better it seems to work... but I`ve still had some problems with it.

Now... if you`re interested, you might want to try the Einszett Paint Polish (green can) or Metallic Polish (red can). The PP is sort of like IP, and the MP is sort of like FP, but in my humble opinion, the Einzsett products work much better. They`re easier to use and seem to provide better results (for me).

Maybe give the Menzerna another try and if you`re still frustrated, consider trying the Einszett products. Also, don`t be afraid to really "use" the PC - crank up the speed a bit, work the products a little more, and use some carefully applied pressure. It should work out for you. :)

imported_Greg
04-02-2004, 09:26 AM
This sounds really strange, but I love IP and FP on my single stage, but haven`t found them to be all that great for BC/CC paints. I have no idea why this is, but this is just my experience. Also, I would definitely crank it up to 5 or 6. I just used IP at 5 w/ a white polishing pad and it removed the small amount of swirls that I had accumulated over the winter. Then I went with a finishing pad at speed 6 and it looked fantastic. When I tried this on a clearcoated finish, I just wasn`t as happy.

imported_Bulldog
04-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Thank for the inputs. If I crank it up to 5 or 6, do I still use the orange pad or should I switch to the grey or white?

tom p.
04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
It`s my feeling that the Menzerna polishes, IP & FP, are great polishes for paint in very good/excellent condition.

I worked on a car that had moderate surface scratches and was a bit disappointed that the polishes could not do more to relieve the condition. I contacted the people at CMA about this and he suggested I try Menzerna`s Power Gloss followed by IP and FP.

Steve @ Guru
04-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Keep using the orange pad for the "cleaning" stage, then switch to white when you`re ready to polish or glaze. Speed of the buffer doesn`t really impact which pad you use - you use the two together to accomplish a specific set of goals and results.

imported_jgv
04-02-2004, 10:23 AM
The IP & FP are finishing products, specially if not used with a rotary.

If you want to correct something either you use IP several times or go stronger. I never use PG with a PC, but with a rotary it works wonders.

imported_Bulldog
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. You guys/gals are great as usual.

Mindflux
04-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I`ve had VERY good luck with IP and FP in the past 6 months.

One time, I was working on my car and we were finishing it up, so we were rolling the car off the boards I have to drive it up onto so we can jack it up. Well, my door swung open and pushed right through my friends wall. The wall was sheetrock or whatever, I was more concerned about his wall, he was more concerned about my door.

Needless to say, there were TONS of scratches on the door, they were small though. I got home, washed the car and broke out the PC on the 3.5 or 4 setting and started in with IP. I`d spritz the pad with some QD, glob on a nickel sized dab, maybe a quarter size and go to work. I did several passes with IP and a yellow pad, and then several passes of FP with a white pad.

The car came out great, you wouldn`t even know the scratches existed.

THen again a month ago, my co-worker had her BMW E36 M3 out back (dark green) and one of the maintenance guys that work on our building had his dog with him, and the dog jumped up and scratched a whole quarter panel of her car. I brought my stuff into work, same regime. The scratches are nearly gone, there were a few deeper ones that aren`t as noticable now that the FP took the edge off the gouge.

Needless to say, I`m happy with my FP and IP combo.

detailbarn
04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I`ve had great results with all three Menzerna products , PG , IP & FP. I use PG with a wool pad or a yellow one (speed 6), the IP yellow (speed 5) then I follow with FP on a white pad. (Speed 4) I`d honestly have to say they are one of the best polishing systems I`ve used. There is a learning curve with these products because they are designed to meet the needs of OEM and professionals.