PDA

View Full Version : Thinking bout PS...

Pages : [1] 2

Dtail
04-01-2004, 03:01 PM
I am currently using s100 but want to step up to pinnacle souveran wax after hearing all the raves about it. My car is a daily driver and gets waxed every 3 weeks. I do live in Vegas with a really hot weather. Will souveran has enough protection for my black car? Should i go pinnacle lotion/souveran or AIO/souveran? I want to get the deepest and wettest look on my black paint.

imported_BretFraz
04-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I have both waxes and feel the S100 leaves a brighter look while the Souveran is richer (more oils).

Neither wax will be very durable in hot weather, especially on black. Car wax evaporates at about 140*F and your surface temps get hotter than that. But I think you`ll get some protection as long as you wax frequently.

Honestly, I`d recommend a sealant of some kind that will hold up to the heat. There are a few that offer a wax look with some added durability. Your most durable products are going to be Zaino and Klasse but they offer glossier, more reflective finishes than maybe what you want. But for a daily driver in those weather conditions, you might want to compromise on appearances a bit. Just an idea....

Accumulator
04-01-2004, 05:39 PM
What bretfraz said. Maybe try a synthetic like UPP (formerly Platinum).

Dtail
04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I just prefer the look of carnauba than sealants. I do apply waxes or sealants every 2-3 weeks so durability really isn`t an issue. I just want to know you guy`s opinion if the price for the souveran is worth it from an s100 user.

Scottwax
04-01-2004, 11:35 PM
I have to disagree with Bret. I don`t buy the statement that carnauba wax begins to evaporate at 140 degrees. Paint gets at least that hot 4-5 months out of the year here in the Dallas area and I have no problem getting 3 months minumum beading, slickness and good appearance out of carnaubas. Pinnacle Souveran will hold up on black paint in the heat. I used it on a black Ford Excursion whose owner has a daily 80 mile commute (so you know it was a vehicle that is actually driven) and when he had me wax it again after about 2 1/2 months, it was still beading nicely, still had some slickness to the finish and looked great. He insisted I use Souveran again since he was so happy with the look and performance. I don`t think Las Vegas has a problem with acid rain or industial fallout, so a good carnauba should be sufficient protection.

You could always lay down a sealant and top it with Souveran too.

Is it worth the extra cost? :nixweiss It all depends on what you are looking for. S100 has a somewhat brighter look and PS is more liquid looking.

Dtail
04-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks scottwax. I am happy with the s100 wax. But i want to get the most wettest look on my black finish. Like i said, durability isn`t a factor here since I wax my car regularly. So, if PS will give my paint enough protection then I think it`s well worth it.

Accumulator
04-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Scottwax- Interesting about the Souveran holding up on the black Excursion. I`d found that I had to reapply it more frequently to the hood of my XJS, which gets pretty hot, but your example/experience is better by far.

I must say that I never got that kind of (2.5 month beading)durability out of Souveran on a driver, though. But then we`re in different parts of the country.

Oh, and FWIW, I recall a recent post about how #16 held up well in the SW too.

SLiM003- Some of those synthetics looks awfully carnauba-like, but if you want to stick with a "real" wax, OK. *I* found a very striking difference between P21S and Souveran on my (silver/gray metallic) XJS. It really surprised me how different they looked and I really preferred the Souveran (but that`s just me, and I only tried the P21S on that car).

Dtail
04-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the response. I just saw some good reviews about the wolfgang products. I may have to check them out too. To anyone who have used wolfgang and PS how would you compare them two based on how they look?

imported_BretFraz
04-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, the temp at which a wax will begin to evaporate is not my opinion but a number that`s pretty well known in the industry. Almost every carnauba auto wax is mixed with some amounts of parrafin, montan, and/or bees wax and its those waxes which lower the overall evap temp. Take a $40 IR thermometer to black paint that`s been sitting in the sun all day and I`m sure it will be far above 140*F. Bye bye carnauba (or at least most of it).

So, what`s making the paint bead and feel slick? Could be lots of things. Could be residual oils from the wax. Could be residual oils from a glaze or polish. Could simply be well polished paint that`s producing high surface tension. Who knows what you`re really looking at.

Anyway, as much as I like Souveran I can`t justify the added price. Stick with the S100 as its a killer value for a carnuaba, plus you can get it locally and save on shipping costs.

DETAILKING
04-03-2004, 09:01 PM
The most I have gotten out of PS was about 3 car washes......3-4 weeks. Hot summer climates and dark cars (not garaged), will reduce durability on a carnuba. Brett is right, carnubas contain all types of waxes to enhance usability and waterbeading....parrafin, polyethylene,etc,etc. When the surface of the car gets hot, the wax softens. Oils migrate to the surface and evaporate or are washed away. Sometimes a newer car finish that is polished will remain glossy and bead water even when no protection is on the car....just something to consider when evaluating product performance.

I can`t hardly tell the difference between S100 or PS. In my opinion, S100 is easier to use. Try them both and post your findings........

DK

Scottwax
04-04-2004, 12:23 AM
The Excursion I used Souveran on was already 2 years old when I waxed it. Maybe pure carnauba begins to evaporate at 140 but I`m willing to bet when refined and combined with other ingredients, the melting or evaporating point is raised, similar to the effect of coolant and water raising the boiling point.

PaUlzRiDe
05-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I read an article in a car wax review that said carnauba breaks down at 230 degrees. And that most car engine run at 200 degress, meanng a car running for an hour under direct sunlight would reach temperatures high enough to basically elliminate any successful protection in carnauba wax finish

ALAN81
05-18-2004, 04:56 PM
My answer is simple IF you can afford it(and don`t mind spending the money) BUY it.I own a tin and here are a few notes about the wax.

easy on and easy off

doesnt last long(about 4-5 weeks the most)

great dark wet look finish(if done right)

isnt worth $60 but wasted money on other stupid things

you can do an entire car in under a hour

imported_BigBoy
05-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Try liquid souveran.

JustinR32
05-19-2004, 11:48 AM
isnt worth $60 but wasted money on other stupid things

LOL, that says it all!

BigBoy, IMO Liquid Souveran only shares a name. It`s nowhere near the same in looks, and if anything is even less durable (again IMO).

Tom