PDA

View Full Version : How do I wash in direct sunlight?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_method
04-01-2004, 02:21 PM
I was wondering if anybody had any tips for washing a car in the direct Texas sun?

I live in Texas and pretty much have no way to wash/wax my car in the shade. I live at an apartment complex and there is no covered parking. :sosad

I know I HAVE to wax during dusk because in direct sunlight the wax will turn into white swirls.

As far as washing goes, anyone else in this situation? I’ve learned to sort of wash the car in sections and rewet the whole car in between sections, but I’m still not fast enough to stop water from evaporating and leaving spots. At night there is no light next to wear I can plug in a hose and therefore I wouldn’t be able to see what I’m doing. I also don’t want to washing the morning and wax at dusk because then I would get a lot of dirt on the car during the day.

Any suggestions?

imported_elortt
04-01-2004, 02:25 PM
as long as you keep the vehicle wet, wash one panel at a time you should be fine. Also you can "wax" in the sun too you just have to use "sun or shade" friendly products

Eric

HellrotCi
04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
You`re a good candidate to start using QEW to wash with. If you`re not familar with QEW just do a search, you`ll get overloaded :eek: with posts.

andriver
04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi Method. Consider using a product such as QEW which requires very little water and is done in sections. Secondly, products that can be used directly in the sun, consider Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Carnuba Moose www.clearkote.net or Poorboys polish and EX sealant www.poorboysworld.com . I hope this helps.

BTW, hit the "Learn" icon on your upper right hand screen. Lots of good information.

imported_method
04-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I`ll look into QEW. I love this forum!

canisestinvia
04-01-2004, 03:37 PM
which apartment complex are you at? When I was at UT, I used to go to a friend`s complex that had a covered lot with a water outlet. I`d just bring my own hose and try not to spray wildly onto others` cars. I doubt the landlord cared (didnt do it all the time though).

imported_method
04-01-2004, 04:34 PM
The Breakers on Riverside Dr. right off I-35. Not surehow long ago you went to school but I think it`s a fairly new complex (1999?).

Actually, I have a buddy who stays at Crossing Place also on Riverside Dr. who has a covered parking spot. I was thinking of kicking him out of his spot when I come over and washing/waxing the car. Not sure if there is a water hook up though.

Mindflux
04-01-2004, 04:38 PM
You better wash his car too for using his spot :p

I wash my car when the sun starts to get low (or before it gets high).

BTW: QEW is great if your car isn`t absolutely filthy :)

Welcome to Autopia

canisestinvia
04-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by method

The Breakers on Riverside Dr. right off I-35. Not surehow long ago you went to school but I think it`s a fairly new complex (1999?).

Actually, I have a buddy who stays at Crossing Place also on Riverside Dr. who has a covered parking spot. I was thinking of kicking him out of his spot when I come over and washing/waxing the car. Not sure if there is a water hook up though.

I was there only a couple years ago. I often hear the newer places giving crap and fining people about using their water. I used to take my car over to a complex by the name Century Square. It`s an older place on Red River before 37th (lil bit south of HEB). The water outlet is in the downstairs parking right in front of the entrance. I washed on weekends when the landlord was out, plus they don`t have lotta people snooping around all the time (vs. my apt Sterling who hired lots of kids who liked to squeel on you). But really, I don`t think the landlord would give a damn if he/she saw you.

Just an option there for you. Go ahead and give QEW a try though. It`s good stuff for maintaining your car. Then maybe you could just use Century Square on the days your car is really nasty.

Don`t make the mistake of getting lazy like I did and skip out on the frequent washings and waxing. My paint paid a price those years up there (silver Acura TL). I used to wash ALL the time before I transferred from UH. My paint was always clean and protected. But then I moved to Austin and my car was always parked outside, and I was always too lazy to wash. After moving back to Houston, I could tell the paint wasnt the same :(. That problem was solved by relegating the car to my brother and receiving a black Miata :).

SK2003TypeS
04-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Get a tent :D

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28343&highlight=tent

Mr. Clean
04-01-2004, 10:32 PM
I wash frequently in the sun. I wash a panel at a time rinsing as I go. When it gets really hot, I rinse the car more frequently and a final rinse before drying. For water spots, I use Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe while I doing the exterior glass. Works good for me.

nizee
04-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I live in south Austin, in an apartment complex too. I do have cover packing but it`s to small to work around for washing. But when i wash my car, i wash in the sun using QEW (Good stuff), section at a time. If i`m lazy, i just visit the coin op washing, after wash, spray with mixture S&W and QS, and dry it with MF. When i need to polish and wax, i bring to my cover parking.

If you need to try that QEW, sent me a PM, i let you try some.

Scottwax
04-02-2004, 12:11 AM
I use QEW all the time in my detailing business and I often don`t have shade in the summer.

BTW, American RV on Division (Arlington) about a mile west of Bowen, carries QEW. HYPERformance inside Six Flags Mall (also Arlington) carries the Clearkote line.

imported_Dave Holmes
04-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Like others mentioned, just do a panel at a time, rinsing very often. Eventually you`ll get good at it.

Schedule washing and waxing for cooler days, or slightly cloudy. Or try mornings/evenings. Noon is not the best time to be doing it in the south.

Check out your local car wash facilities late at night. I use their water and bay, but my supplies. They have decent lighting too. Late at night, I can be in the bay for hours with no one around. The owner doesn`t mind because I`m not disturbing business, and with someone there his equipment won`t get vandalized. Downside is no electrical hookup for a PC, but a big enough power inverter could solve that (just watch the car`s battery!).

I`m also looking at EZ Up type tents, or even a 10x20 from Walmart.com (my whole car will fit in it).

Dave

Gonzo
04-02-2004, 07:25 AM
method,

I wash just just around sun rise. Some mornings in the summer I`m out there at 5:30..... No problemo!