PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for big spring detailing session...

HowardPearson
03-31-2004, 05:30 PM
After a long, harsh VT winter my black `98 A4 is a mess. There is heavy swirling on many areas on many areas of the car. After last season I am out of many key products and I am looking to restock with some of the new products on the market.

In the past, my spring detailing routine went something like this:

Wash with Meguiar`s soap and vingegar

Dry with the Absorber and cotton towel

Clay with Mother`s bar and detailing spray

1 round of 3M SMR

buff off with cotton towel

1 round of P21S GEPC

buff off with cotton towel

Wax with biltz or Zaino depending on the time of the year.

This year I am going to need something more agressive than 3M SMR. Right now I am considering 3 different combinations for attacking the swirl marks:

A) Menzerna Power Gloss, IP and FP.

B) Meguiar`s Dual action cleaner polish or No.2 Fine Cut Cleaner followed by No.9 Swirl Remover, then GEPC.

C) 3M fine cut compound followed by SMR then GEPC.

All of these polishes will be applied with a craftsman buffer and terry cloth bonnet. I know this is not the ideal tool for the job and a PC would do a much better job but I just cant afford one right now. I have had good results with this buffer and SMR in the past but Im not sure how it will handle the heavier polishes. Will I be able to get out the deep swirls with the craftsman buffer and a heavy duty polish?

As for wax this year I am planing on going with the Klasse Twins.

I would appreciate any comments on my routine and the products Im thiking about using. TIA