PDA

View Full Version : COLORx use in the longterm

Pages : [1] 2

ddolat
03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
I have been reading through this forum for a few months and have found a wealth of information. I have been able to find answers to almost all my questions using the search feature, but I have some questions about Meguiar`s COLORx that I was hoping someone could help me with. I am a little confused about the function of this product. Most stores seem to stock it next to the scratch removers and rubbing compounds but when you read the bottle it seems to be a cleaner wax type product. I have tried it once and really liked the results and the ease of application/removal but I am concerned about its suitability for longterm use. So I guess I am trying to find out if I can use it like a one step product or if it is to harsh for that. Ideally I would like to use it once every 3 or 4 months and since I plan on keeping my truck for a long time I don`t want to wear out the paint. Thanks for your help in advance.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-31-2004, 03:19 PM
ColorX is a chemical cleaner with a polymer protectant. It has excellent cleaning abilities and its protection, IMO, is up there with AIO. I would use it side by side AIO any day. I would not use it soley for protection however. You would be far better off using either NXT or Platinum (four star), blackfire etc to top with. Its agreat Meg`s product, one of my favorites, and i dont use a lot of Megs........

jasonatv22
03-31-2004, 03:26 PM
I thought it made my car look a little dull and it seemed to attract dust. That said, I`ve been keeping S100 on the car lately so it`s hard to compare. It did remove oxidation very well. I`m tempted to go over the car again to see if it gets any more oxidation off my single stage black paint.

I can`t help but think that, though it`s doing a good job, is seems a little NuFinishish to me.

I didn`t top it as I`m planning on playing with the other fad wax this weekend, EO Nano.

SR77
03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Does it do its cleaning with chemicals only (like AIO) or does it also have some abrasives in it. In its description on meguiars website it says it polishes also, so i am wondering if it has any abrasives in it, and if so how strong they are. For anyone who has used both Colorx and AIO are they pretty much the same products or different? thanks

ddolat
03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
So it would not be a good single step product? If not, should I be using something like Mother`s Cleaner Wax? I really would like to find a one step product that will provide decent protection for at least 2 months minimum as well as give good results. I have tried Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax, and though the initial results were good, I don`t think it even lasted one week. I really liked Mother`s Original cleaner wax but am open others. What about EO Nano Wax, Mother`s Hot Wheels, or NXT?

imported_Aurora40
03-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Part of the problem is that cleaner/protectant products don`t usually protect as well as just protectant products since they have to perform at more than one thing. So getting 2-3 months from a cleaner/protectant product might be too lofty a goal (depending on the conditions your car is exposed to). If you only want to put one thing on your paint every 3 months, and you like ColorX, then stick with it. If you really want a solid 3 months, maybe you`ll want to do two steps. You might try ColorX topped with #16... :nixwiess

jasonatv22
03-31-2004, 10:55 PM
I never meant to imply that I didn`t think it was a good single step product. It`s just that the way that it`s doing it`s job, removing oxidation with a heavy solvent and then having a hard but not so lusterous shell, is very much like the cheaper NuFinish (acutally I think they are the same price maybe) or TW Finish2001. Both of those products last a long time. I put them on relative`s cars. :D (But not mine, or my wife`s)

They last, but you sacrifice depth bigtime and quite a bit of shine. But, I would say they protect wonderfully.

JustinR32
03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
ColorX looks better than NuFinish, and the solvents are different; they seem to be more specific, or something. The odor isn`t a common one.

I like the Nu product, but the ColorX is better, IMO.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-31-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree Tom.....I used it on a neglected Ram Pick as my model. I was really pleased with it. Aurora hit the nail on the head, and as i had mentioned earlier, you really need to find something else to complete your job or your not going to get a whole heck of a lot of protection. 2 mos. is definetely pushing it......

ddolat
04-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Ok I see what you all are saying. I am going to go purchase some NXT and use that on top of COLORx. Would using COLORx twice a year and topping off with NXT, then using NXT every couple of months be a good plan? Thanks again.

togwt
04-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Quote: This product is a one-step cleaner/polish and synthetic wax.

Very much like Meguiar`s Cleaner/Wax, (A-12 the maroon bottle stuff), only with better cleaning ability, and darkening ability, thus the reason it will restore the true colour.

Part of seeing a paints true colour is have a really clean surface. You don`t want any built-up contamination, DIP, (dirt in pores), chemical etching, etc to block or hide the true colour of the paint from shining through, whether its a single stage, or a clear coat.

So by upping the cleaning ability, this product makes for a stronger cleaner wax for Joe Consumer looking for an effective one-step product.

Easy to use, versatile, can be used by hand or machine. End quote.

MikeP

a.k.a. Patrick
04-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Id go with ColorX evey season. Top with NXt as well........Some products claim more than actual truth...Use your best judgment....Seasonal applications is a rule of thumb....

jasonatv22
04-05-2004, 10:17 AM
2 weeks after application it seems better than I expected. The alledged dust accumulation I was talking about I think was more due to the pollen rush that the trees just went through. The reflection seems sharper. Perhaps there is a curing time of sorts.

I`ve got a little more respect for it now. I like this product. I would buy it again if I went OTC. I`ll probably switch to AIO before I finish this bottle off.

jasonatv22
04-12-2004, 03:19 PM
3 weeks after, doing fine. Beading great in the rain we`re having today. Now that pollen season seems over, it`s a pretty good cleaner sealant.

Didn`t bring camera for rain pics.

ddolat
04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
I am going to wait and see when the one coat of COLORx will stop beading before I apply anything else to my truck. It has rained a lot since I first applied it and it is still beading nicely. If it lasts a good while, I`ll have it applied to our work trucks since they don`t get much more than an occasional wash.