PDA

View Full Version : pc use in tite places w/ edges or 4" pads?

chevysales
03-31-2004, 08:50 AM
how do you people polish with pc in titie spaces next to emblems or trim without having problems?

of course taping/covering emblem/trim first is a must but how do you get in tite to the obstruction with machine?

do you use edge of pad not holding it flat to surface?

does anyone use the 4" pads that i see around?

the polishing i speak of would be the second or final step to bring the clear shine back to topcoat after you have done any scratch/swirl removal.

dternst
03-31-2004, 10:02 AM
I`ve purchased a curved edge variable pad for tight spaces:

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foamcurv_feat.html

David

chevysales
03-31-2004, 10:35 AM
nice but what i am saying is there is no room to get pad totally flat...so what problems can be encountered if one can only get about 2"-3" of pad contact?

assuming bigtime splatter from pad being up is there any other problems?

thanx

Magellan498
03-31-2004, 10:45 AM
The only thing you`ll run into is splatter if you have too much product on the paint, but you`re not going to do any harm to your paint by tilting the PC a few degrees and using the edge. It`s not a big deal. And if you`re too wary of doing that, just go back to hand application. You`re going to have to do hand polishing anyway on some portions of your car because of the space limitations of the PC.

Accumulator
03-31-2004, 11:08 AM
I use the edge. I`ve tried the 4" pads, and for tight spots, I prefer using the edge of a larger pad. It`s not like a rotary where you have to be VERY careful, the PC is plenty mild enough to use this way. Then just do the final work by hand.

The only time I use the 4" pads is when I want to work a small area, like for a spot-repair of an isolated bit of marring.

chevysales
04-01-2004, 07:39 AM
thanx i apreciate the help and info :)