PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions on using Klasse...

ArvinC
03-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Hello everyone!

I`m a new member here and new user to the Klasse line of products. I`ve been doing my research and have pretty much settled on applying SG in the method outlined by BillNorth (Wipe on, wipe off) as many have gotten excellent results out of it. However, I do have some other questions reguarding Klasse:

1.) Is there a preferred method in applying AIO?

2.) Having read posts from other members, if SG should "cloud" on me, does washing then applying AIO pretty much get me back to "square one?"

3.) I know that AIO is great at cleaning and polishing the following surfaces, but is SG harmful at all to the plastic, rubber and glass portions of my vehicle, i.e. staining or clouding?

4.) Is there a preferential brand/type of car wash that seems to benefit the application of the Klasse twins?

This will be my first use of Klasse on my first "new" car: a 2004 Titanium Grey Mazda RX-8 6-speed. I really do not want to mess it up...LOL! :scared

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

Arvin

spotter
03-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Welcome. You really should consider claying your car prior to appling the AIO. It is easy and harmless and will make your car look much better. Since your car is new I don`t think there would be any benefit to applying AIO by machine unless you just want to do it. AIO and SG are fine on glass and do not stain trim or rubber but I don`t think you should apply either to rubber or trim. Applying AIO after SG is back to square one but you should not have any hazing issues using the WOWO method. Car Wash soap shouldn`t matter using the twins. I use the Klasse twins regularly and use both QEW and Eagle One.

By the way ..... nice ride. I wanted to get one myself and waited months to see one before buying my car last year but there just wasn`t enough head room for me. Same problem I have with about 80% of all cars.

ArvinC
03-30-2004, 06:31 PM
...OT. I am planning on using clay as well...still have a Mother`s California Clay kit laying around that I never opened! My old car (`89 Audi 200 Quattro) was pretty beat up and really didn`t warrant the trouble of claying, at least that`s what a professional detail shop told me.

Thanks for the compliment on my car! I can`t help but want to just sit in it, you know? ;)

Going by your handle and sig....guess you`re not that big on my Ravens, eh? LOL

Enjoy your ride...

Arvin

Accumulator
03-30-2004, 07:33 PM
ArvinC-Welcome to Autopia! That`s a *very* good color for an RX-8 :xyxthumbs

1) Most any application method will work well with AIO, it`s as close to foolproof as such products get. Dry or damp applicator, foam or MF, hand or machine, wipe off when wet or allow to dry...everything works fine, at least for me.

2) It`s pretty unlikely that you`ll have trouble with SG unless you put it on too thick. If you DO have trouble, try a) fogging the surface with your breath, or b) lightly misting your removal cloth and/or the surface with a QD like FI (Meg`s #34) or Sonus, or even distilled water. If that doesn`t work, then yeah, reapplying AIO will remove the SG and put you back at square one with no harm done.

3) I dunno if Mazda uses the same exterior trim materials across the line, but SG works fine on the black exterior trim on our Mazda MPV (EXCEPT for the wiper arms, those discolor no matter what I do, so I just re-AIO them frequently). On both metal and plastic, it works great with the w-o-w-o method, especially when I fog the surface with my breath. FWIW, it works fine on these surfaces on our Subaru too, so I think it`s a safe thing for you to try.

4) The only wash I`ve used on our Klassed vehicles is Griot`s Car Wash. It doesn`t seem to strip any of the SG, even at rather strong concentrations. It offers GREAT lubricity and good cleaning ability, and doesn`t leave anything behind after rinsing.

Oh, and FWIW, with numerous layers of SG on the finish, I find I can gently spot-clay (while washing) when needed without removing an appreciable amount of SG. Beats (IMO) using tar remover solvents which strip the protection along with the tar and bugs.

ArvinC
03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
...info, Accumulator. :D

Reason I was asking about the effects of SG on trim, plastic, etc. is that I didn`t want to risk being "sloppy" at all with my application if it were to stain those surfaces. Glad to hear a slip-up here or there won`t matter!

Thanks again...

Arvin

chris0626
03-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Sounds like you`re tried to do good research, ArvinC, and folks here have given other good info. Did you also read thru Jimwh`s Klasse instructions (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12590) in our Hall of Fame? Gave me a lot more confidence before my first use of the product.

6cyl's_of_fury
03-31-2004, 03:45 AM
Or even do a search on "BillNorth" (one word) for the wipe on wipe off ( WOWO or WOO ) method.