PDA

View Full Version : My old car....

TGates
03-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Well, here she is, all Zaino`d up. Too bad I had to get rid of her on account of some reliability issues. I will have some new pics up of the new cars shortly. I`m going a different route with my new black car, but still using the Zaino on the silver one. Hope you like it...I sure did (when it ran).

Z1

Z5 X 3

Z2 X 3

Z6

Z7

TGates
03-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Rear end

TGates
03-30-2004, 01:20 AM
One more....please disregard the wheel wells. :o

TGates
03-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Last one for now

TGates
03-30-2004, 01:30 AM
Here is one of my first love affair.....taken with a really crappy camera. Same deal....Zaino treatment.

disasnguy
03-30-2004, 01:45 AM
you lucky lucky <Beep> >=) very nice btw

imported_ajbarnes
03-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Very Nice!!:cool: My favorite color + a mustang = :shocked

imported_Greg
03-30-2004, 11:40 AM
What`s up fellow Kansan! Where in KS are you? The Cobra and SS look good. How come you had to get rid of the Cobra?

LightngSVT
03-30-2004, 11:55 AM
It was a beautiful car. I dont think the pics do the color justice though! So what did tyou replace it with?

OKCstanger
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BlackSunshine

Well, here she is, all Zaino`d up. Too bad I had to get rid of her on account of some reliability issues. just curious, but what kinda probs where you having?

andriver
03-30-2004, 02:17 PM
I`m curious as well. My wife is wanting to replace her mustang with a cobra.

TGates
03-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Well, let me start off by saying it has been a dream of mine to own a Cobra for quite some time. Unfortunately, the 2003 Cobra`s were quite plagued with several problems.

First of all, no offense to anyone who owns a Mustang (hell, I`ve owned two), but the 03-04 Cobra is basically nothing more than a $20,000 motor in a $10,000 rental car chassis, designed to handle the 190 some horsepower V6 of the base Mustang, which constitutes the vast majority of the Mustang`s sales.

Now, don`t get me wrong...that car was STOUT. It was probably putting down anywhere from 430-450 horsepower to the ground, although I had about $1500 in performance mods done to it. The problem with that much power in that car is wheel hop. The Cobra has an IRS setup out back, and it is basically haphazardly thrown in there (bolts up to the existing mounts for the live axle of the base and GT models). You just could NOT use the car to its potential for fear of breaking something due to the embarrassing wheel hop. It was running 116 mph traps (BEFORE the pulley swap) at 13.0. Those kind of traps are good for mid to low 12s, but not with those tires and IRS setup.

If it were my money, and I just HAD to have a Mustang, I`d either wait for the new Mustang that`s coming out very shortly, or get a black Mach 1, which basically has the 03-04 Cobra motor, minus the blower, but has the live axle setup out back. You could always throw your centrifugal blower of choice on there and have a hell of a fun car that would probably humble most new Cobras quite easily at the strip.

The main reason I got rid of it, though, was the reliability issues I had with the coolant system. I bought the car in September 2002, and by then the temperatures were cooling down. It wasn`t until the summer of 2003 that I started having problems with it over heating. Repeated trips to the Ford dealership solved nothing, and there was no known fix for the problem at the time. The straw that broke the camel`s back was the time it left me stranded out on the highway. I finally got tired of messing with it and traded it for a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I also added a 2004 Z06 to the stable to cure the need for speed.

So anyways, there`s my story, and I`m stickin to it.

By the way, I`m from Garden City, KS, but am currently residing in Lawrence.

TGates
03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Here is the money shot, if anyone is interested....note the pulleys and CAI.

TGates
03-30-2004, 02:43 PM
And last, but not least, the sight that became all to common. Note the maxed out temp. gauge in the upper left of the IP.:angry

stilez
03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Car looks great...Sorry to hear about your problems :(

My dad has the `01 Cobra and the only problem he has had is the wheel hop. I guess the cooling problems were due to the supercharger?