PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Problems

crazy roscoe
03-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Can anyone tell me what caused this problem on my wheels, I used to use A2Z wheel cleaner, now only soap & Water After using AIO & SG.

forrest@mothers
03-29-2004, 06:13 PM
What`s the center cap made of? There`s a scientific term for corrosion from 2 dissimilar metals in contact with each other.

Galling, maybe? Of course, it could be something simple like damage from salt on the road in winter, causing the clear coat to delaminate.

tom p.
03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
when you see that. The wheel cleaner ends up penetrating the clearcoat and that erosion will just keep getting worse. Apart from re-fininishing, I don`t think there`s anything else you can do. Avoid the strong wheel cleaners when you see that condition.

LouisanaJeeper
03-29-2004, 06:27 PM
if it is a newer car it should be replaced by warranty. The clearcoat has failed there and the aluminum is starting to corrode

LouisanaJeeper
03-29-2004, 06:28 PM
oh, by the way if you can`t get it replaced...sand off all the corrosion in the arear till you get to good metal and put some clearcoat on there.

GoodnClean
03-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Yep, just normal ol` clearcoat failure. In my experience its really common on machine finish alloys.

imported_ajbarnes
03-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Yep, just normal ol` clearcoat failure. In my experience its really common on machine finish alloys.

Agreed. I`ve come across plenty of alloys that have similar corrosion.

I agree with L J about if you can`t get them replaced, just sand it off and clearcoat it.