PDA

View Full Version : MEG #81 (Hand Polish) - allow to haze?

imported_memnuts
03-29-2004, 03:09 PM
What is the best method when working with Meg #81.

Buff into finish and wipe off or allow to remain on finish (haze, if possible) for a period of time prior to buffing?

TIA

6']['9
03-29-2004, 04:16 PM
this was on showcargarage hope it helps

2hotford

Hey RamAirV1,

I would treat the application and removal of #81 Hand Polish the same as the #7 Show Car Glaze. (You should find the #81 a little easier to remove).

Again, the key is thin, even, coats. I would also make sure the car is in a garage or in the shade when applying and removing.

I would apply it either by hand or by PC with a Meg`s Finishing pad W-9006 (You know me and my desire for Finishing pads!! LOL! ). Then to remove, first go around and wipe the first level of the product off with a MF (Mike likes 100% cotton Terry Towels whereas I still prefer the MF). Then go around with a MF bonnet over a fresh W-8006 polishing pad to buff off the remainder and to bring out the tremendous gloss. You will love the shine!!!

As for the tar, I have had several white trucks/cars in my life that showed every spec of tar! So now with my dark colored truck, I may not see it, but I know its there waiting to be removed.

Cheers!

Tim

Spilchy
03-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Good question "Z"

I like do to one panel at a time using thin coats.

After one panel is done, I wipe completely off with an MF that has some bite. I like the Vipers for this.

You may get some streaking and smearing. Just apply thin coats. If some product remains, don`t worry, you`re wax will remove it when you buff it out.

I have had sick results on dark colored cars with #81 topped with #16.

In fact I really love #80, #81, #16 combo. Works wonders on dark colored cars.

imported_memnuts
03-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks 6`][`9, Chris (reference post author) and Spilchy :bow

6`][`9 : I used the procedure you referenced and even used an 100% USA cotton towel for the initial buff off. I followed with a MF(terry-type) for the final buff. When the directions state "light" buff Meguiar`s means it. Any pressure and this stuff gums up :shocked". After developing the pre-cotton buff and "lite" buff techniques this product was very easy to remove. I applied by PC very thin coats with a Meg W-9006 finishing pad and worked it into the finish.

Spilchy: You are right! #81 really adds an unbelievable deep, wet and glossy finish. I have used the Meg #7 on my ss paints but my only encounter with #7 on clearcoat was unsuccessful. Better technique and tools (no PC usage in past) then product. Yes, any residual smearing was removed with the application of NXT x 2 (for complete coverage - not layering). I did one side, pull her out and WOW :D!! I will top in a few days with Meg #16.

I pre-cleaned the finish with WG cleaner prior to #81. Finish was prepped about 3 weeks ago( car not driven since last prep) with rotary so this whole experiment was for appearance only. Excellent results on black.

What spurred this experiment was the wonderful experience I had with the WG system on my wife black Lexus. The results were very good but I was really impressed with the pre-cleaner and it`s ability to product such a clear finish. One thing lead to another and today`s experiment was born. :cool:

Scottwax
03-29-2004, 11:52 PM
I apply #81 to the whole car then go back and remove the excess. Seems to buff of a bit more easily that way.

1 Clean WS6
03-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I apply #81 to the whole car then go back and remove the excess. Seems to buff of a bit more easily that way.

That is how I also use the #81 and it does indeed buff off easier.

percynjpn
03-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

So do all you boys find the #81 to be easier to apply AND remove (especially if done by hand) than #7?

Thanks

Richt
03-30-2004, 08:17 AM
I apply it to either one side of the car, or all over. I find it fine to remove, saying that have never found #7 a problem to be honest. Some times due to time or weather constraints i do a couple of panels at a time and have no problems with that either. ( All by hand have no PC)