PDA

View Full Version : PC use over seams in the body

wifehatescar
03-29-2004, 11:30 AM
As an example, the body panel seam between the hood and front 1/4 panel, or where the back of the dorr and the rear 1/4 meet, I have seen some tape over it.

I understand this is to prevent cc burn on the panel corner. However, it would also leave un-polished paint where the tape was.

Would you just go over that area by hand afterwords (or go at it with the PC on a slow speed or what?

I hope my question is clear....

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by wifehatescar

...Would you just go over that area by hand afterwords (or go at it with the PC on a slow speed or what?

Yep, that`s the thing to do, either way should work fine. There are a few imperfect panel joints and other edges that I`ve finally worn through by NOT taking the proper precautions :o so if in doubt, do `em by hand. If the panels meet pretty evenly, the slow speed on the PC should be fine.

jet_m3
03-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Cc burn? Can you guys elaborate on this "danger"? Thanks.

TN9thSi
03-29-2004, 12:50 PM
There is a danger of burning through the clear coat on the edges of body panels because the clearoat is thinner in these areas and it`s much easier to do damage if you are not careful.

wifehatescar
03-29-2004, 12:52 PM
clear coat burn through...heat builds up quick on corners of panels as well as the paint is supposidly thinner on the corners.

I`m trying to avoid having unpolished strips of paint everywhere I tape.

I suppose I could just stay away from seams (and not tape) and then do the seam areas by hand afterwards. This would save time but I guess you have to really watch where the pad goes.

Inzane
03-29-2004, 01:15 PM
I`ve been wondering this too as I have yet to do a full detail with my new PC yet.

Also, do you have to tape and re-tape after every step? eg. If you tape up the car, then DACP everything, do you take the tape off and DACP the seams by hand, then retape and SFP the whole car, take the tape off and SFP the seams by hand, retape, then NXT the whole car by PC, remove tape and NXT seams by hand, etc..

:confused:

wifehatescar
03-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

I`ve been wondering this too as I have yet to do a full detail with my new PC yet.

Also, do you have to tape and re-tape after every step? eg. If you tape up the car, then DACP everything, do you take the tape off and DACP the seams by hand, then retape and SFP the whole car, take the tape off and SFP the seams by hand, retape, then NXT the whole car by PC, remove tape and NXT seams by hand, etc..

:confused:

Good point, not sure...??? Seems time consuming though.

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 02:04 PM
I generally clean around the tape with Meg`s #34 and just accept that it`ll be imperfect. The final "by hand" polishing work seems to fix it anyhow.

For the LSP, even with something (very) mildly abrasive, like NXT *appears* to be, I just do it by PC with no taping (unless I`m trying to keep the LSP off trim, in which case I`ll retape with that in mind). Of course, if you have some VERY soft, thin paint, like on my XJS, then that`d be different. Another case of erring on the side of caution, but trying to be reasonable.

The real idea here is to just lessen/minimize the polishing-by-PC on the vulnerable areas, especially when using the more aggressive polishes.

And I`ve generally found that any time spent on "preventive measures", such as taping, is time well spent.

Inzane
03-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

The real idea here is to just lessen/minimize the polishing-by-PC on the vulnerable areas, especially when using the more aggressive polishes.

Ok so the main reason for taping seams is just to protect the paint, not trying to prevent product splatter or residue in seams?

So if you PC`d the majority of your car without taping, would you get a lot of product stuck in the seams or not really?

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Ok so the main reason for taping seams is just to protect the paint, not trying to prevent product splatter or residue in seams?

So if you PC`d the majority of your car without taping, would you get a lot of product stuck in the seams or not really?

Well, the spatter issue *is* a good point and I *DID* tape up the XJS partly for that reason, but with that I was really taking off a lot of single stage lacquer (messy business). With basecoat/clear I don`t get a big mess with a PC the way I do with a rotary (I do tape for that reason with *it*). I don`t use all that much product with the PC and I`ve never needed to tape b/c vehicles for those kind of reasons. But if *you* need to, then you need to.

Again, taping is worth the time if you have the need. The sort of problems that taping prevents are VERY time consuming and frustrating, at best.