PDA

View Full Version : Do you polish/wax these places?

Pages : [1] 2

NorcalZ71
03-29-2004, 03:41 AM
does everyone do full detail just to their door jambs as well? what about around the trunk edges (tailgate for my truck)? what about underside of the hood? and paint inside the engine compartment ie firewall, inside of front fenders, etc? FOr people with painted dashes, do you wax these too?

Just Wondering, ive done my jambs and i clean the underhood/inner fenders but havent detailed. i`ll do that next time

imported_SouthernZ71
03-29-2004, 05:55 AM
I never used to but in searching, I found a post about using AIO for what you mentioned. Last week I removed the sill plates and applied AIO. For me it was a night/day difference, really added a lot for a finished look.....kinda like not doing your wheel wells.....

dgraupman
03-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Look at it this way, once you`ve obsessed as much as you can with your paint by removing scratches, swirls, spiderwebs, hazing, and finally obtain that elusive mirror-like reflection, you will then be unable to resist working on the underside of the trunk, the hood, the door jambs, etc. :D

What blows non autopians away are the unexpected parts of your truck that shine.

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, if it`s painted and you can get to it, do it. Functionally, it helps keep water/dirt/moisture from lingering there and potentially causing problems. And it sure makes a good impression on the right kind of mechanics ;)

Bill D
03-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I`ve SGed everything painted on my cars and then some ,fuel filters, etc :o

NorcalZ71
03-29-2004, 07:40 PM
AIO eh? i saw a thread about it in the Hall of fame, did amazing things for that yota truck. was a night and day difference. I fully plan on doing my jambs/hood etc, just cant use the PC when i get it.

Side topic, how do you like to clean your wheel wells? My truck is lifted, so they show even more and i like them to look nice. i`m thinking about repainting them this summer since they are fading from getting water blasted, but for now whats the best way to clean and keep clean? do you polish/wax em?

Bill D
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
For my wheel wells, once they are throughly cleaned,( I typically use an apc cleaner diluted to the appropriate ratio) I apply Meg`s Engine Kote. It dries to a hard shell which is dust and rain resistant. I spray it, then wipe with a foam applicator and/or sponge. I`m pleased with the results :up

tom p.
03-29-2004, 08:00 PM
these products are handy:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3089/26sonaxspray-med.jpg http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3089/26sonaxsprayr-med.jpg

Eagle 1 has this stuff:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3089/26eagle1carn.jpg

The Sonax is very good. You can spray it on and leave it without buffing out. it leaves an excellent layer of protection for winterizing purposes.

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by NorCalZ71

Side topic, how do you like to clean your wheel wells? ..whats the best way to clean and keep clean? do you polish/wax em?

I clean mine with sponge "glass mops", BHBs, and swabs, using solvents if needed or, usually, diluted EFHI. I do the (regularly/normal) painted areas with AIO topped with something (SG, UPP, BF, Collinite) and the other areas with Griot`s Undercarriage Spray. Not as permanent as the Engine Kote, just my preference. MANY people like the Engine Kote, just don`t get it on places where you don`t want it.

LouisanaJeeper
03-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I wax those areas, never polished though

Accumulator
03-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

I wax those areas, never polished though

I got into the tight spots on the "good cars" and polished the (imperfectly applied) paint as best I could before using LSPs on them. It seemed to really help make the surfaces slick so dirt rinses out easier. It`s the sort of job you only have to do once (fortunately).

NorcalZ71
04-01-2004, 06:39 PM
sorry, been away a few days but thanks guy. I`ll be buying my PC plus a few other detailing items in a few weeks, month at most and then doing a big pre-summer detail on my truck. I suppose the best way is to take the wheels/tires off and have the truck jacked up? I can`t decide if i`m going to take out the inner fenders and repaint them (engine probably coming out this summer), or just clean them up a bunch

Accumulator
04-02-2004, 10:46 AM
NorCalZ71- If you really wanna detail the wheelwells, then yeah, pull the wheels. But if you just want to do the exterior well and do a so-so (heh heh, by Autopian standards ;) ) job on the wheelwells the you probably don`t need to pull `em.

Unless it`s really grungy, I myself would probably wait to REALLY do them until I pulled the engine.

Scottwax
04-02-2004, 11:29 PM
I use the regular Moose Wax on those areas.

Speedwagon
04-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by NorCalZ71

Side topic, how do you like to clean your wheel wells? My truck is lifted, so they show even more and i like them to look nice. i`m thinking about repainting them this summer since they are fading from getting water blasted, but for now whats the best way to clean and keep clean? do you polish/wax em?

I have quite the opposite problem. You really can`t see the wheel wells, cuz my car is lowered. How would one suggest getting in there(less pulling the wheels)?

You even get a pic to see. I can barely squeeze my hand in over the rear tire.

http://www.speedwagon.us/audio/SBN01.jpg