PDA

View Full Version : Bug yellow on clear bra: How to remove stains?

Sveta
03-28-2004, 10:24 PM
White car, clear bra. VM and S100 right before three hour trip.

Washed the billions of bug off OK, but some of those little suckers leave a YELLOW stain in the material. Very porous I am assuming.

Here is what does NOT work. Clay, detail, VM, #9, tar remover, GOOO GONE, alcohol, vinegar.

Here is what finally worked. Two hours rubbing with plastic polish and bartender`s friend. Not fun.

Half a bottle of beer to anyone who knows a better way. :bow

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 11:40 AM
No better way here, so no beer for me! I`d say you`re lucky you got it out at all, I`ve had stains in protective films like that which would NOT come out no matter what. Might oughta rethink that "carnauba only" protection when you take long trips.

Sveta
03-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Accumulator.

Do you know if sealants are safe to use on the film?

imported_10degreesbtdc
03-29-2004, 12:32 PM
You can use any sealant that`s paint-appropriate on the clearbra (Zaino, Klasse, etc) and it`ll be fine. I`ve had Z and Z w/an S100 topper on the clearbra for ~6 months w/o problems (others for longer).

I`d be interested in a non-abrasive yellow-stain solution, too. I got the bug guts off early enough, but it did require some xtra elbow grease. Maybe there`s something with some solvent-type cleaning action rather than abrasive that`d work?

Sveta
03-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by AcMDX

I`ve had Z and Z w/an S100 topper on the clearbra for ~6 months w/o problems (others for longer).

I`d be interested in a non-abrasive yellow-stain solution, too.

Do you get the Yellow stain even with the Z protection?

I`m beginning to think prevention may be the only solution. One Turtle Wax product said not to use on porous surfaces, so I`m thinking there has to be some way to seal the surface. Talk about toxic little bugs. Some do stain some don`t. I`m going to contact 3M and see what they say.:nixweiss

imported_10degreesbtdc
03-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Yea, I got some yellow even w/the Z. I don`t think "sealing to make it non-porous" is a good idea given it`s sitting on top of the paint and if it`s porous then it`s supposed to be that way for the health of the underlying paint and for the consistent "fade" if you ever remove it.

I have a vague recollection of some difficult yellow bug stains from a white BMW I had several cars ago that just sort of disappeared with time...sun bleaching it out?

Like I said, the most recent one required a little extra elbow grease, but nothing like your regimen did! Maybe it was the Zaino, maybe I caught it early, maybe it was a baby bug who just drank a lot of water and was diluted :)

METICULOUSMAN
03-29-2004, 04:54 PM
I have never tried it but was told that what ever you would use on the plastic of convertiable window should help. The installer I spoke to said they come in wipes and will help clean the bra if stained. Like the yellowing of conv windows. I use Zymol brand I know they make something like this but i never used them on my bra and Im sure you guys have the same type of products from different companies. Hope this help in the future.http://www.zymol.com/screencl.htm

Sveta
03-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by AcMDX

Yea, I got some yellow even w/the Z. I don`t think "sealing to make it non-porous" is a good idea ....

Maybe it was the Zaino, maybe I caught it early, maybe it was a baby bug who just drank a lot of water and was diluted :)

Many thanks. I`m in the desert. No dilution. :lol

Early didn`t help me. Three hours and stained....Hope the sun bleaching works .

EDIT: Oh! Thanks, Meticulousman. That sounds good and I`ll try it.:up

Jesstzn
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Friend of mine used to do this on road trips cuz of the bra staining ( which looks tacky no matter what its on ). He would take a roll of Saran Wrap and stretch it across the front of the hood leaving 3" to fold under the front and a few inches on each side. Then masking tape *under* the hood to hold it . The static kept the film on the hood.

I did it on the way to a car show last summer .. werked ok and was hardly noticable.

Sveta
03-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

I did it on the way to a car show last summer .. werked ok and was hardly noticable.

Very clever. Thanks. :up