PDA

View Full Version : polishing - how much?

carendt242
03-28-2004, 08:52 PM
someone brushed my car in the parking lot. you can see the swipe but i can`t feel it.

tried polishing w/ 1Z ultra paint polish but it only took about 1/2 out. i polished by hand for 15-20 minutes, buffing every 10 swipes or so.

should i keep doing it? or try something a tad heavier? if so, any recommendations?

Accumulator
03-28-2004, 09:28 PM
carendt242- Welcome to Autopia. Cool car, sorry to hear about what happened.

*I* think you might need a rotary for that one, at least to fix it "right". You need to combine speed and heat with abrasives that`ll break down. 1Z UP works a bit differently by rotary than it does by hand, for instance.

But to do it by hand, maybe try working a part of the problem with the 1Z Ultra, rubbing a bit faster, trying to actually build up some heat on the finish. Don`t overdo it though.

This is one of those tricky problems where you have to watch that you don`t make it a lot worse (though one COULD say that it`ll need painted if you CAN`T fix it anyhow).

Unless I was feeling REALLY lucky, and wanted to wetsand it with 3000 (use only Meg`s uni-grit stuff!), I would NOT try anything more aggressive, but I bet that Scottwax would, if he were working on it, so :nixweiss

jasonatv22
03-29-2004, 11:23 AM
It it`s their paint they left behind, clay.

My mother-in-law went around for nearly a year before I clayed off some silver paint on her dark green Camry. She thought that it couldn`t come off. (And I`m glad she didn`t green pad it or anything.)

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Yeah, maybe I misread the original post. If the problem is paint-transfer, just clay it off. I read it as being an extreme type of marring from the friction of the contact.

carendt242
03-29-2004, 01:37 PM
ok, thanks guys... i think it`s marring, not paint, but i`m not a professional (nor did i see the color of the car that hit me ;-) my car is a dark green, and swipe area just looks a bit blurry w/ directional lines... i`m guessing it`s a mar in the clear coat.

i was planning on a complete wash/claybar next weekend so maybe i`ll give that a shot before i try any further w/ the polish. if that doesn`t work, i`ll rub it harder... (you guys must be a tad more mature than most car forums to get away w/ this!)

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by carendt242

ok, thanks guys... , i`ll rub it harder... (you guys must be a tad more mature than most car forums to get away w/ this!)

Heh heh, yeah well, just wait ;) Some of us can be just as immature as anybody :o