PDA

View Full Version : Buying Clay

GO Dawgs
03-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Where do u guys buy your clay, i only want to purchase the clay not the whole kit.

imported_FordTaurus
03-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I haven`t seen just the clay in an automotive store. You`d have to order it online. With Claymagic being only $10 with lubricant, you might as well just spring for that at a local auto parts store.

imported_BretFraz
03-28-2004, 03:17 PM
I order clay direct from 3M. You get a nice big 200g chunk for $21.00 at http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?xid=28181&SP=10023&PN=1&V1=504532&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

There are several online vendors that will sell clay w/o a lubricant. Have a look at Autopia`s sponsors to see what they`ve got.

imported_NotSoRed
03-28-2004, 03:43 PM
you can get mothers clay alone here http://waxstation.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?pid=60243&cart_id=5471599.67576&ci=0&kwd=&mfg=mothers

foxtrapper
03-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Somewhere else I came across a thread discussing that the man-made modeling clay you buy at art stores and the like is the same as the clay we use on our cars. You buy only the clay, and for a significantly lower price. Never tried it myself.

imported_Greg
03-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by foxtrapper

Somewhere else I came across a thread discussing that the man-made modeling clay you buy at art stores and the like is the same as the clay we use on our cars. You buy only the clay, and for a significantly lower price. Never tried it myself.

I`m too lazy to find the thread right now, but it said just the exact opposite. The clay we use on our cars carries a specific patent and the clay one might buy in a craft store is not the same. DavidB explained this one very well in that thread.

togwt
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
You can buy a medium grade Detailers Clay bar from Autopia Car Care (not sure of the web address...)

foxtrapper
03-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Greg

I`m too lazy to find the thread right now, but it said just the exact opposite. The clay we use on our cars carries a specific patent and the clay one might buy in a craft store is not the same. DavidB explained this one very well in that thread.

Like I said, it was somewhere else that this conversation was. It was about the synthetic modeling clays and the content of plasticising agents in them as a function of their curing ranges. Wish I could remember the specifics. The person had chased down some information from the MSDS sheets of various clays, and used them himself. Made a mental note of it, and that`s all I recall on the subject.

derek37
03-30-2004, 01:32 PM
can you use water for your lubricate?

togwt
03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
You can use water (I would suggest you mix car wash concentrate to provide lubrication)

badboyeee
03-30-2004, 02:15 PM
i bought claymagik for $12.99 at AutoZone. came with lubricant

foxtrapper
03-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Found the thread on using modeling clay. Wasn`t exactly as I recalled, but very close. Here`s the gist of it from a few comments.

I used Premo clay the last time I detailed my truck. There are several different types of clay used for crafts. I found that the higher the baking temperature on the side of the package, the more plasticizers are in the clay making it better for our application.

There are some clays out there that leave a residual on the surface. They don`t harm the surface, but it`s extra work to scrub off the clay.

I use Meguiar`s Quick Detailer when I clay my rig. Mother`s works well, too. I didn`t like Meguiar`s clay because it dried out too quickly and wasn`t as maleable as Mother`s. The Premo clay is nearly identical to Mother`s and produces the same results. Another cool feature about craft store clay is that you can get in different colors.

and

The more plasticizers, the more the clay feels like plastic rather than clay. A low temp clay (say 245°) will be softer than a 275° clay. You can feel the difference in your fingers. The low temp clay will leave a residue on your fingers, the high temp won`t. Low temp clay tends to dissolve with the detailing mist. Typically, a bar of clay from a craft store costs $1.50 around here. The highest I`ve paid was $2.30. A helluva bargain if you just want to experiment with different compounds.

breakneckvtec
03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Since I keep my car pretty darn spotless I only use clay usually once a year after the winter has ended to remove all the embedded crap that might have embedded itself after a rough winter. I cant really see the need to buy alot of it and pay shipping costs so I just spring for the clay magic at the local pep boys.

2wheelsx2
03-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

You can buy a medium grade Detailers Clay bar from Autopia Car Care (not sure of the web address...)

Autopia Clay (http://autopia-carcare.com/a-100-4.html) :) Good deal.