PDA

View Full Version : Does using a clay bar strip protection?

underneath
03-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey guys, quick question! I use Meg`s Gold Class paste wax, along with their quik sprays to keep the car looking good. I`ve used a clay bar (megs) on the vehicle before, in prep for wax, and I know it cleans the surface good, but I was wondering if the clay bar stripped protection/wax?? Thanks!!

BoxsterCharlie
03-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Basically, yes. The long answer is that it would be a poor technique to use for the express purpose of removing wax--because it removes it mechanically, not chemically--but you`ll want to wax again following claying. Would be an even better idea to polish in between the clay and wax steps.

underneath
03-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the answer. So after claying is the ideal time to polish? Is there any other time you can polish? Also, by not having "protection" on the car, what do you risk doing to the paint? (scrapes? uv rays?) Thanks again!

Accumulator
03-28-2004, 02:33 PM
underneath- Having no protection on your paint leaves it vulnerable to all sorts of things, from UV radiation to bug guts and bird bombs.

Yeah, after claying a good time to polish since the paint is clean. But you can polish whenever you need to. *I* only do it when I have marring that I can`t live with. For general "paint cleaning", I use clay more than anything else (though some mild paint cleaners certainly have their place).

Some of us clay without it seeming to strip our protection. I just clayed Accumulatorette`s A8 (tar and bugs) and its protection (3M paste wax) is just fine. I spot-clay our vehicles with every wash, and it doesn`t seem to strip any protection. But then I clay *VERY* carefully and gently, trying to pull the contaminants out of the wax/sealant. No "heavy rubbing".

Since I only reapply the LSP to our drivers when necessary (usually only a few times a year, sometimes ONCE a year with Klasse), I`d surely notice if the clay stripped my protection. So it CAN be done that way. But if you clay too aggressively, without adequate lube, then yeah, it`ll remove your wax or sealant. And if you have contaminants UNDER your LSP, then you have to go through (remove) the LSP to get to them.

underneath
03-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Thank you very much! How can you tell if it removed your protection or not? I`ve only clayed once but i did it gently, just for some light cleaning. So with a wash of nxt soap you can safely polish your paint correct?

Accumulator
03-28-2004, 08:24 PM
The "how to tell if protected" question is sorta tricky. NOT to start a flame war (this is "one of those topics"), but if the finish still beads the same where you clayed as it does where you DIDN`T, and if it still looks and feels the same, then *I* would assume it`s still protected.

Yes, if you wash thoroughly, "regular washing" will be adequate prep for polishing. Plenty of people don`t clay very often, and twenty years ago clay just wasn`t used for that anyhow- cars still got polished and they were fine.