PDA

View Full Version : Should I Undercoat?

LouisanaJeeper
03-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Should I spend the $5 and put some undercoating on my vehicle (which appears to be primed or single coat paint on the undercairrage) It is new, so now would be the best time to do it before it gets dirty

Accumulator
03-28-2004, 03:16 PM
I dunno, depends on the vehicle and how well you can maintain it in the nasty months.

I haven`t had any of our vehicles done since the `80s and they don`t have any problems. But then, I`m pretty fanatical about cleaning the undercarriages.

You might consider having some obviously vulnerable/unpainted areas done with something like POR 15, or undercoating just those places. Maybe something like an "oil spray" or some other product that`s lighter than the Zeibart-type stuff.

CleanMachine
03-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Ive got a Toyota P/U with 31s and usually paint the undercarrage about once a year. I go to dollar general and get about 6 cans of black and put on several coats outside on a nice day. Comes out looking great. Im going to do it sometime soon, this time im going to mix one can of krylon rust dissolver/prevention and alternate every few coats.

Thanks, Dave

LouisanaJeeper
03-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I dunno, depends on the vehicle and how well you can maintain it in the nasty months.

I haven`t had any of our vehicles done since the `80s and they don`t have any problems. But then, I`m pretty fanatical about cleaning the undercarriages.

You might consider having some obviously vulnerable/unpainted areas done with something like POR 15, or undercoating just those places. Maybe something like an "oil spray" or some other product that`s lighter than the Zeibart-type stuff.

It is going to be on the mustang.

There is no snow/salt here. However, there is alot of gravel on some streets and rain (chips+water=rust)

Usually never gets below 40* so year round detailing! lol

I might just wait till next time I do a full detail. Cause I know I will have to clay off overspray right after I do it.

Accumulator
03-29-2004, 07:34 PM
LouisanaJeeper- OK, that clarifies things for me. I haven`t looked under a Mustang, but on my Crown Vic there was a *LOT* of surface rust after just a little while. As if things weren`t painted (at least properly) under there. So yeah, I`d put SOMETHING on it even if you don`t have the whole winter thing to contend with.

Louisiana, winters, :doh Should`ve caught that...

LouisanaJeeper
03-29-2004, 09:48 PM
pic of the finish

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/9111gt__0681.jpg

LouisanaJeeper
04-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Got some supplies today. 1 spraycan rust preventative primer, and 2 cans of undercoating (made by Duplicolor). I pressure washed off the undercarriage w/pressure washer tonight so I can do it tommorow.

I am really tempted to go back to the store though and pickup something else...in a paint form (not spray) so I wold not have to worry about overspray as much. If I got paint on it would be herculiner roll on bed liner (would that be OK?)

If I do go with the spray on I assume I am going to have to cover up EVERYTHING w/ bedsheets or something and seal it all up really, really well.

Accumulator
04-02-2004, 11:35 AM
I dunno about using the bedliner for undercoating..might work fine, but it sounds like a real "outside the box" application to me :nixweiss

I`d mask with tape, aluminum foil, and newspapers if spraying. I somehow think the spray would get into nooks and crannies better than brushing. Just be careful...and it sounds like you`re gonna be.

Mr Concours
04-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I have used a wax type product called Dinitrol on my car about six Years ago ( Boeing and Volvo both use it ) cant see any rust on the underneath of the car six Years on.I dont know if you can get it in the U.S.

If it were a show car still I would anti- stone chip paint it and then body colour paint it.

If you do go down the areosol paint route place the can in a bowl of warm water before you spray and it will make application much easier.

former86camaro
04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
POR 15... I would buy it and brush it on and you will be set for years...

LouisanaJeeper
04-02-2004, 09:17 PM
I bought some Hurculiner today (small can, $30). I decided to think about spray vs. the hurc. while I prepped.

-Yesterday I pressure washed the area

- cleaned area with prep-all/prepsol

( was thinking about spray vs. paint...i just could not take the risk of overspray on my exhaust, tranny, paintwork, rims..etc. Hurculiner brush on was the only choice!)

-masking tape on all the stuff I did not want painted ((this hurculiner stuff is pretty mean, like superglue, once its on, its on)

-1st thin coat w/ brush strokes

dry 2hr

-2nd coat (I blotted it on with a brush tip to get the proper texture)

now it`s curing for 12 hrs, looks pretty dang good if you ask me! but that could be the fumes talking

(I think the $30 hurculiner will be better than the $3 cans of undercoating and gave me the control I needed)

Being the true Autopian, I Klassed the exhaust while I was down there. (Again, possibly due in part to the fumes :) )

Accumulator
04-03-2004, 01:48 PM
LouisanaJeeper- I bet the brush-on application was a LOT more appealing than the risks of spraying. Let us know how it holds up.

Heh heh, Klassed exhaust :xyxthumbs

LouisanaJeeper
04-03-2004, 03:07 PM
yeah, here is a finished pic:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6496&size=big&papass=&sort=1

I left the rubber gromments uncoated as I think some of them are actually floorpan drain holes

Accumulator
04-03-2004, 07:25 PM
LouisanaJeeper- Looks good. :xyxthumbs on the rubber plugs/drainholes, too.