PDA

View Full Version : cleaning black underhood mat

kowalski
03-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Hi guys,

Well I would have searched for an answer to this -- but quite frankly I really don`t know what to call the black felt-like underhood mat on my 2003 mustang. (heat shield???)

The problem is that I have my first car show coming up and while the rest of my car is spotless -- this mat thing is utterly filthy with dirt and what appear to be white water stains. Nothing I ave tried has brought it back to factory luster . . . and the car only has 11,000 miles on it.

I used to have a firebird with a similar underhood mat but never really had any problems with staining like with this one.

What`s more, washing/ light rubbing with a damp cloth seems to tear the material

I`ve heard shoe polish will restore the color but wanted some other input first -- any suggestions??

Jesstzn
03-26-2004, 10:56 PM
I`d take it back to Ford and rant and rave and see if they will replace it .. it shouldn`t fall apart while trying to clean it.

04lariat
03-27-2004, 12:22 AM
On my 91 and former 93 Stang, I take the liner out and use a can of black engine paint (high temp stuff) and paint it about every 6 month to a year. Just hit it with light coats and use the whole can. They always come out nice and black.

imported_Dave Holmes
03-27-2004, 01:16 AM
I second Jim`s suggestion. I`ve done mine, and it literally took an entire can. That thing soaks up paint better than a WW does water! Make sure you spray multiple thin coats, and do them in all directions (up, down, left, right, diagonal) to ensure an even finish. When done, it will look brand new or better (depending on your paint choice, I used satin black with excellent results).

Dave

imported_FLAWLESS
03-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Well, I`m not a Mustang guy, but I know the mat in question`s function on my VW GTI. It is a heat shield, but more importantly it`s a fire-retardant blanket. If the engine were to catch fire, the small plastic clips that hold it to the hood would melt, causing the blanket to drop onto the engine and smolder the flames.

Again, this may not be the case with all cars.

Anthony O.
03-27-2004, 01:50 AM
To avoid future damage on your next cars underhood mat, clean it with a soft brush and a wet/dry vac. every other month should be fine. Try not to get it wet or at least soaking wet.

Anthony

kowalski
03-27-2004, 01:42 PM
thanks for the input guys -- I think painting it is the route to take then.

Does anybody have suggestions on a high quality black paint I can use??

04lariat
03-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Just use any engine paint...(VHT, Dupli Color, etc.) I usually use the high temp DupliColor with ceramic.

Jesstzn
03-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Plasti-Cote Caliper paint is only $8 in CanaDUH.. prolly $5 in the US

topnotchtouch
03-27-2004, 03:50 PM
If I was going to show my Mustang I would probably just buy a spare hood liner just for shows and keep the old one for daily use if your car is a daily driver. Personally I don`t think paint is going to look right on the Mustang hood liner but, I could be mistaken.

imported_Dirt Doctor
03-28-2004, 12:10 PM
i would go with rjtaaf and get a spare. this is a safety item. and it will also keep your hood from getting damaged from engine heat.if $$$ is an issue go for it and paint. you will have to take it off and prep the surface with a grinder or by hand first. primer it, and then paint. you can then choose a ton of options. how about trying something like installing a mirror of some sort, that would be original.( no charge on that suggestion, ill have to charge you on the next one) good luck

04lariat
03-28-2004, 03:09 PM
There is no sanding or grinding involved......The mat is like a semi rigid fire blanket. It will absorb most of the paint, the paint acts more like a dye than paint.