PDA

View Full Version : Removing stains from beige leather

imported_Vetteman
03-26-2004, 12:16 AM
I recently purchased a 4 year old Vette with a light oak leather interior. One of the seat cushions and seatbacks has coffee colored stains about the size of a quarter. I`ve tried numerous leather cleaners (Lexol etc.) to no avail. The stain is probably years old.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

imported_WCD
03-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Do you have access to the previous owner to find out exactly what they are? Perhaps they are oil based stains. You may end up redying the area.

Rob

chris0626
03-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Is it actually leather or coated? Have you tried Leatherique`s cleaner? Zaino leather cleaner? or Scottwax`s favorite: a 6:1 Woolite:water combo?

imported_Vetteman
03-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the good ideas! I`ll try to contact the previous owner re: the cause.

Regards

togwt
03-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Quote: Removing stains from beige leather

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

It sounds like an oil stain-

Food, suntan oil, your hair or skin; small oil stains can be treated and successfully removed with cornstarch (or talcum powder) rubbed briskly into the stain with your fingers until the heat from the friction is felt. That heat loosens the oil and allows the cornstarch to absorb the oil before the leather can (which might be the case) you’d be left with re-dying the leather, as Lynn suggested check Leatherique.com

~Hope this is of some help~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

chris0626
03-27-2004, 05:02 AM
Hey, TOGWT, where`d you find that text re: oil-based stains and cornstarch/talcum powder? I`m intrigued.