PDA

View Full Version : I Might Have Swirled My Z During My First PC Use, !! Please Help !!

Pages : [1] 2

BlueDragonZ
03-25-2004, 09:18 PM
OK I thought that I did a flawless job with my PC. I haven`t had a chance to really see the condition of the paint in sunlight until a couple of days ago. Even then I didn`t really had a chance to look over the whole entire car just a couple of panels. But, what I saw was simply :scared . If I`m looking at it on an angle there`s no swirls but, if I`m looking directly down on it with the sun on the reflection I can see some swirls. WTF!!!:nixweiss :mad: I mean I didn`t get all the scratches 100% because I can see a couple of scratches here and there. I was fine with this and I knew that I wouldn`t be able to get ALL of them out. But this is WORSE. I don`t know if the rest of the car is like this. If it is what the hell could I have possibly done to create these little swirls?

I used the orange pad with 1Z, white pad for the AIO and grey pad for the NXT. Under a 1000W light I can`t see these things but under sunlight I can. Should I go over the whole process again? Do I have to wash with Dawn again? I really didn`t want to. Is it possible to just wash the car, clay then simply start with the orange pad with the 1Z? Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, the pics that I took didn`t come out right so I don`t have any.

armoredsaint
03-25-2004, 09:28 PM
JMO, could the orange pad been a little too aggressive or not aggressive enough? Especially your Z is new and other factors could be dirt particles trapped under the pads? BTW, I will be in Nashville next weekend to visit my friends, so if you see a Black Audi TT with Ohio State Plates around the Vandy area it`s me! I use to go to school there in `96 and lived in Bellevue at the Grove at Devon Hills, god I miss TN.

Jesstzn
03-25-2004, 10:23 PM
The orange pad might have been too aggressive .. I just did some yellow pad and DAPC on my Black B5.5 even tho I let it break down it left very fine swirls that looked like velcro hooks. I followed it with a less agressive polish and a white pad . Thats what you might have needed before the AIO. I hardly noticed these in the 1000 W either .. but sun showed them.

No need to Dawn wash or clay .. which 1Z were you using?

LouisanaJeeper
03-25-2004, 10:30 PM
which 1Z were you using?

ditto

BlueDragonZ
03-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the response guys. :xyxthumbs

armoredsaintt I only time see the Vandy area during our monthly Z meeting. Usually after our meeting we drive around and find a place to eat around that area. We have one next Thursday, are you going to be here then?

The 1Z that I used was the Paint Polish

http://autopia-carcare.com/1z-930306.html

Should I try this polish again with a white pad? Then AIO on white and NXT on grey?

Jesstzn
03-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by BlueDragonZ

Thanks for the response guys. :xyxthumbs

armoredsaintt I only time see the Vandy area during our monthly Z meeting. Usually after our meeting we drive around and find a place to eat around that area. We have one next Thursday, are you going to be here then?

The 1Z that I used was the Paint Polish

http://autopia-carcare.com/1z-930306.html

Should I try this polish again with a white pad? Then AIO on white and NXT on grey?

From the site

*By machine, using a fine foam pad, Einszett Paint Polish removes swirl marks and brings paint to its full gloss potential.*

It was prolly your pad that did the swirls .. yes try a white pad and patience .. perfect what you need to do on one panel then continue on.

BlueDragonZ
03-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

From the site

*By machine, using a fine foam pad, Einszett Paint Polish removes swirl marks and brings paint to its full gloss potential.*

It was prolly your pad that did the swirls .. yes try a white pad and patience .. perfect what you need to do on one panel then continue on.

Thanks, I`ll have to order a couple more white pads then and try again. I guess I need to omit the orange pad off the process and stick with just white and grey.

hayaku
03-26-2004, 12:35 AM
when we did my car (jet black m5 with massive swirls and scratches), we used 1Z PP with the orange pad to quickly remove the swirls. Under a halogen lamp you can see the micro marring left by the pad. We then followed up with 1Z MP and a white pad to fine polish the finish. Its virtually a mirror finish right now...

hope that helps

stevet
03-26-2004, 12:56 AM
I thought the orange pad was supposed to cut like a cutting pad but give the finish of a polishing pad? It seems this isn`t true. I was going to order some for this reason but I might as well stick to cutting and polishing pads.

GoodnClean
03-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Generally people here have been unhappy with the orange pads haven`t they?

What you`ve experienced is what we call hazing, the pad has removed the swirls, but has left minor marring behind. Following up with a white pad should clear it right up.

Chris Y.
03-26-2004, 03:42 AM
I think one the problems with the Orange pad is the "cupping" of the polish pocket. When I`m using it on a rotary and lift up for a final pass. I notice the edges tend to dig into the paint leaving holograms more so that flat Meg pads or EDGE pads.

Gonzo
03-26-2004, 07:59 AM
The potential for swirling will increase at high speed and moving the PC over the paint quickly - move it slowly, say about 4" per second. I like the CMA orange pads and have never had a problem with DACP on my truck. I have switched to Einszett and the only hazing it see is from the ULTRA, but I expect that. With DACP or ULTRA, neither is my last step polish - I use Menzerna FP for that.

former86camaro
03-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Off Topic how is the z... How do they comapre to the older 300`s....

BlueDragonZ
03-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Clean 2K

Off Topic how is the z... How do they comapre to the older 300`s....

I can`t really answer that since I never had a chance to drive or even ride the 300ZX`s.

I might just give the orange pad one more try before giving up on it. I`ll try a panel first keeping in mind all of your responses and maybe I can have better results. I didn`t really know that people had some marring problems with it.

Accumulator
03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
BlueDragonZ- Sorry to hear about how your first PC experience turned out. The 1Z stuff by PC is a pretty foolproof combo, so I understand your frustration. IMO, blame the orange pad.

I`d try the PP with a "regular" polishing pad. It really is supposed to give a "ready-to-wax" finish, so I`d guess that the orange pad is to blame. I stick with specific-purpose pads, myself. Cutting, polishing, and finishing from various manufacturers. Some paints are more sensitive to pad differences than others.

So rather than keep trying with the orange pad, I`d go with the white one. You can always go back to something more aggressive, but if something MILDER will solve the problem, then you`ve saved time, effort, and clearcoat.

*I* like to follow up with MP, but Mike at 1Z says it shouldn`t be necessary.

I don`t see any reason to Dawn wash or anything like that, just watch that your pad doesn`t get too loaded up with all the stuff (AIO, NXT) that you`ll be cutting through.

I`ve found that high speeds with the PC work fine with 1Z stuff, in fact, they break down the abrasives quickly (I usually use 6). Do be sure to work the product a long time, though, it`s not like DACP, but it DOES have diminishing abrasives.

One other possiblility...any chance you`ve uncovered previously unseen rotary-induced holograms. Say, from dealer prep? Just a thought.