PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions, Advice Needed.

tkajeff
03-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Okay, I am crazy about keeping my car clean(Of course I am that is why I found this site) Since reading many posts on this site and read the “Geekystein’s Porter-Cable for Beginners write-up and have decided a PC is something I should invest in. However, one thing I am not sure of is what type of product would be most effective for my car. I have been using the Zaino line of products exclusively since the car was brand new. I use their applicators, car wash, detail spray, both Z2- and Z5, clay bar and interior products. Overall, I am really satisfied with the results but I do have some swirl marks and light hazing I would like to eliminate. My question is what type of products I can use along with the Zaino products to remove the imperfections in the paint. I have tried using Scratch-X but I applied it by hand and the results were less than what I had hoped for. When drying the car, I use either the California water-blade and I make sure it is free of debris, 100% white made in the USA towels, or the absorber rubber chamois. Any help would be appreciated.

tkajeff
03-25-2004, 04:46 PM
ttt

breakneckvtec
03-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Actually, of all the polishes you listed I think only SFP has fillers

And DACP yellow pad, SSR1 white pad is a killer 1-2 combo!

tkajeff
03-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

There are a lot of very popular swirl mark removal products... People will typically use a two step system, one to remove the swirls, and second more mild polish to remove any hazing or anything left behind by the first product

1Z Paint Polish(PP) and 1Z Metallic Polish(MP)

Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish #83(DACP) and Meguiars Swirl Free Polish #82(SFP)

Mezerna Intensive Polish(IP) and Mezerna Final Polish(FP)

Poorboys SSR2 & Poorboys SSR1

Countless others, too many to name etc...

Pretty much all of these will leave some fillers/oils behind on the paint, with the possible exception of Mezerna Final Polish, so you should do a dawn wash or wipedown with IPA prior to appying Zaino.

My personal preference is 1Z, but the others work well also...

That should get you started. Use the search function with some of the products listed above in conjunction with the "Zaino" keyword and you should get a good idea...

Thank you for assistance. To make sure I understand what you are saying, after using one of the mentioned combinations you listed to remove the swirls and haze, I should wash with dawn and then apply the Zaino. Did I get that right? :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
03-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

Actually, of all the polishes you listed I think only SFP has fillers..

Well, the 1Z stuff has oils and WAXES in it, so better do something to clean `em off if using Zaino.

tkajeff- Most of us would rather spray the finish with a rubbing alcohol/water mix to remove stuff as opposed to using Dawn. Dawn is sorta out of favor here as it can dry out rubber seals and isn`t all THAT good for automotive paint. But yeah, you`ve got it right.

If Scratch-x wasn`t strong enough, don`t just by super mild products. Get both a medium strength polish and something mild. Another choice would be 3M`s PI-III line (RC pn 05933 and MG pn 05937). These work well by hand or PC and don`t leave fillers behind.